Eggs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would like to have a thread on using eggs! We seem to have too many to use and too few to sell. Please share your egg recipes!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite ways to use eggs.... of course I don't make this tiny little bit, lol. I use a whole jar of pasta sauce and I put as many eggs in it as I can fit in the pan. I've made it with chicken eggs and even quail eggs. It's a great way to use them up and it's delish. You can serve it over bread or pasta.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013889-eggs-poached-in-marinara-sauce

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love lemon curd. Someone shared it with me on this forum in the past. I just eat it off a spoon because it's seriously THAT good. Or I put some over plain yogurt or on ice cream.

6 egg yolk
1/2 c lemon juice
1 c sugar
1 stick butter, cut into slices

Heat lemon juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add yolk. Cook 5 - 7 minutes or until 160 degrees. It will thicken when it reaches 160. Take off heat, add butter and stir until it melts.

This recipe freezes BEAUTIFULLY. It is tolerant of tweaking with less sugar or less butter, and substituting other fruit juices. I've done orange juice. I gave the recipe to a friend - she makes it with pomegranate juice.

Without tweaking, this recipe's nutrition stats are
1980 calories per recipe, 124 calories per Tablespoon
1 gram protein per Tablespoon
12 gram added sugar per Tablespoon (13 grams total carbs)
52 mg choline per Tablespoon

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My kids love French Toast casserole, I love that I can use up 12 eggs with little effort. (And all my stale bread!)

For 9x13 pan, use enough bread cubes to fill a gallon ziploc. (I cut stray pieces of bread, bad loaves, crusts, stale bread, etc in cubes and throw it in the freezer. My kids celebrate when the bag is full and we can have casserole!). Put the bread cubes in the pan.

Beat 12 eggs with 1 quart milk or cream

Add 2 T maple syrup and/or vanilla if you'd like.

Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon, stir or flip.

Cover and put in fridge "overnight"

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Slice and serve with butter and syrup.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can also freeze eggs for later use:

Freezing Eggs
If you have more eggs than you can use, you can break them out of their shells and freeze them. Freeze only clean, fresh eggs.

Whites
Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in a standard ice cube tray. Then transfer to a freezer container.

Yolks

The gelation property of egg yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen, so you need to give yolks special treatment. If you freeze them as they are, egg yolks will eventually become so gelatinous that they will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup of egg yolks (about 4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you’ve added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts). Freeze.

Whole eggs

Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.

Hard-boiled eggs

You can freeze hard-boiled egg yolks to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least 1 inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove the pan from the heat and let the yolks stand, covered, in the hot water about 12 minutes. Remove the yolks with a slotted spoon, drain them well and package them for freezing. It’s best not to freeze hard-boiled whole eggs and hard-boiled whites because they become tough and watery when frozen.

To use frozen eggs

In a home freezer, you can freeze eggs for up to one year. When you’re ready to use frozen eggs, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water. Use egg yolks or whole eggs as soon as they’re thawed. Thawed egg whites will beat to better volume if you allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Use thawed frozen eggs only in dishes that are thoroughly cooked.

46-using-frozen-eggs.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite ways to use eggs.... of course I don't make this tiny little bit, lol. I use a whole jar of pasta sauce and I put as many eggs in it as I can fit in the pan. I've made it with chicken eggs and even quail eggs. It's a great way to use them up and it's delish. You can serve it over bread or pasta.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013889-eggs-poached-in-marinara-sauce
The link wouldn't let me see the recipe without signing up. Would yyou copy and paste it?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is soooooooo good! My Great Grandmother, Mamma Wall made eggnog every Christmas for breakfast! My Mother, as a little girl, remembered drinking eggnog on Christmas morning! Then my Grandmother made it for the family Christmas, now me. I use half the bourbon called for in the recipe and it still comes out good. As a basically non drinker, the full bourbon version blows my head off! LOL

Mamma Wall's Eggnog
12 eggs, separated
12 heaping tablespoons of sugar
12 shots of bourbon (I use 6)
1 half pint whipping cream
1 cup milk
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Beat whipping cream until stiff.
Beat egg yolks, add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
Continue beating egg yolks, slowly add bourbon 1 shot at a time. Beat egg yolk mixture thouroughly while
adding bourbon. The bourbon cooks the egg yolks-if you just dump the bourbon in you will get curdled eggs.
With a large spoon or spatula, fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mixture. Then fold in the egg
whites. Stir in the milk.
Serve in cups with nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Puff Pancakes
melt 3 tb butter in two cake pans (or as I use medium size skillets)
then mix......
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp of vanilla
split the batter between the two pans/tins and stick in the oven at 375*
I bake for 20 minutes for myself (they will collapse a little after you take them out at that time). If you like things crispier on the edge or would like them to hold their 'puff' for better presentation then bake them a bit longer. If I bake longer I turn the oven down to 325* for the last half. with some whipped cream and fresh fruit they make an outstanding and easy fancy breakfast.