Electric car question

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there used to be hitching posts for horses in front of all business and homes--mode of transportation.

those are gone----

so now will be plug ins for cars?

LOL

who knows?

Reaction score
inchworm said:
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is where a car would plug in. We have 200 amp service, but our breaker box is full. I assume we would need to pay for an electrican to come in and rewire the box, or install the appropriate plug, or worse yet - run additional service to the house :( We haven't had too much luck with electrcians around here -- and of course in this state, we have to hire one licensed for this County.

My husband always snickered at electric cars until he saw an article on the Tesla. That caught his attention!

Inchy
New houses would have the outlets. Older houses would have a separate breaker box installed. Eventually gas cars will be gone. It truly is a finite resource.

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
While the power is there for maybe small situations, like in city driving....electric ain't there for farming capabilites etc.

Combines run on power?
Bush hogging and tractors run on power?
Hauling hay wagons from the field on power?
Haul a boat to a lake on a power vehicle?

Hmm....it will have to be a small situation fix (which is needed obviously big time and help tons!!) but not the whole shee-bang.
Did you know that train locomotives are powered by electric motors? The juice to run the electric motors is provided by huge diesels. With battery technology advancing as it is, they will have batteries in the future that will power electric motors capable of driving combines.

Wave of the future.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*raises hand* If we had a decent public transportation system, I would be all over it. I would be fine with no car. In the brief period of time I spent in Japan, I was always in amazement at how easy it was to get around. Even in small towns. We visited a town on Shikoku (the smallest and least populated of the four main islands of Japan) and even then, it was simple to get places. You either walked, took the bus, or the train. A short walk to the train station took you to a bigger station, and from there you could get anywhere.

Of course, this wouldn't work for less populated areas. My friends driveway alone is a mile long! I'm not an expert of any sort. I'm basically just waxing poetic on a really good experience I had. I hate driving. I hate how other people drive, and I hate traffic. (Actually, can we have a transporter, like in Star Trek? I would support that invention) Anyway, what about a solar car? Or am I just dreaming? And also going way off topic...

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry this is so late but.....

The Mitsubishi MiEV has finally come out here. It is a plug in electric 4 seater. It's 40K USD!! The gov't will give you 10K subsidy so, it is really 30K. It is tiny. Think the old Honda CVCC Civic. I was really hoping for it to be about 20K, dang. The hybrids are now starting at 18K, but front wheel drive only, no 4WD. Too bad. The plug in electric should be affordable in about 20 years :(

Reaction score
johnElarue said:
Sorry this is so late but.....

The Mitsubishi MiEV has finally come out here. It is a plug in electric 4 seater. It's 40K USD!! The gov't will give you 10K subsidy so, it is really 30K. It is tiny. Think the old Honda CVCC Civic. I was really hoping for it to be about 20K, dang. The hybrids are now starting at 18K, but front wheel drive only, no 4WD. Too bad. The plug in electric should be affordable in about 20 years :(
Isn't Japans economy kind of expensive compared to the US avg. If so would that make it less expensive in the US. 20 years is just about right. Gasoline for use in cars should be just about gone by then.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, it would probably be a little cheaper in the US, but the subsidy may not be so large.

I did a little comparison a while ago between

1. gasoline car

2. hybrid car

3. lead-acid battery, plug in car

And....the hybrid car came out only slightly cheaper, over 10 year lifespan.

When the lithium-ion battery prices come down, the plug in will come out on top.