Emergency candles on the cheap

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here the candles are $.50 each for the plain "emergency" candles. Hence why I don't buy them, lol.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I posted this on another string but it appears to have some validity on this string as well. I have been noticing a lot of folks considering the use of candles and other incindiary devices for light. I have a suggestion to replace these.

Recently, I bought a few of those yard lights which have solar panels on the top. The first ones I bought were $1.50 and I now could kick myself for not buying 100 of them. Several days ago I bought a few of them (made by Westinghouse) and paid $5/each.

After doing just a little experimentation with their capabilities I learned several things.

a) They are obviously rechargable even with a cloudy day and have rechargable batteries in them. If you have regular AAA batteries these will work as well but not last as long and are not re-usable. Go Green!

b) The amount of light produced by 1 LED in each of them will amaze you, particularly in a setting where you have no other options except the fire hazards of candles, oil lamps, kerosene lamps (of which I have at least 6) and a variety of other options.

c) They come apart very nicely and the solar cell and the LED are a single unit. The LED's of these little yard lights can be mounted on a piece of Plexiglass or even plywood would work with (holes cut to seat the light units) and will, if hung at ceiling level provide very adequate light. Two of them placed close to a book will allow comfortable reading. What I like best about them is that they are NOT fire hazards, will burn all night and they are re-usable.

d) They are really rather cheap. I bought a box of them (8 in the box) for $23. The eight lights placed near the ceiling gave enough light to see quite nicely. Two of them lit the hallway leading to the bedroom and two of them in front of a mirror lit the bathroom very well.

Of course, adding reflectors (mirrors are the best) amplify the light quite well. I got some old Harvey's Bristol Cream bottles (they are blue) from a friend and sat one of them on the bottle which gave a very nice blue light to preserve night vision. A red bottle would be better since it will diffuse the light and not interfere with night vision...like when you get up in the night for "whatever reason".

While they are more expensive than candles initially, the fact that they will last far longer than candles, will not burn down the house and are re-chargable make them ideal for the "emergency" situation as well as "ambience" :love wink wink

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL @ Icu4dzs!
I am a member of a survival site and and told them about the same thing you did-I have been using my older two battery solar path lights for quite a few years to charge up my rechargeable batteries. A good sunny day will charge them up almost fully- only problem is you do have to go and get them at sunset to use them or they light the light and discharge all night.. lol Nothing like a joule thief circuit!
The new little ones that are being sold at the big box stores for $1.50 are great for children so that they don't have to deal with fire.
The larger sized ones, when you take off the top from the plastic will sit nicely on a wide mouth mason jar so it looks nice and the light can shine thru.
I have even used them on windy Halloweens to keep the pumpkins lit!
My older ones use two AA batteries the newer ones take one AA and I have a few of the tiny ones that hold one AAA battery- now there are tons of the cheaper ones that use what looks like a cut in half AA it is the same size as my MIL garage door opener battery so I might just have to get a few more of them so that MIL can have one for changing out in her door opener.
I have used them as battery charges for quite awhile now- and boy do they come in handy during power outages.

Latest posts