Emergency prep test run

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We had a mini test of our emergency preparedness. We had a snow and ice storm that gave us two feet of snow and about an inch of ice somewhere in the middle. Our power was out for a couple of days.

I was fine on food. Haven't been back to the store yet (2 weeks later) even though all is melted.

Our house got cold really quickly once the power went off. We had plenty of fire wood, but the fire place doesn't warm up a whole lot of space. I broke down and ran the generator for a few hours in the evening ( it will run the furnace, fridge and a few light fixtures.) On a side note there was a beautiful wasps nest inside the generator box, I'll post some pic's later.

I wish we'd had a few more candles, mostly for psychological reasons.

I also wish I'd been more caught up on my housework before the storm. My laundry pile was HUGE once the elec. came back on.

I know doesn't count as a real emergency. But it was good to get a little idea of some things we could do differently or better.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It's the little tests that help you to prepare for the larger ones. It looks like you coped well, and learned a bit. So, I would have to say that it was a successful test run. Well done.:)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:weee
You passed the test.

We learned a lot from Katrina and 7 days of no power. We were prepared but learned a lot. And if anything happens again we will be even better prepared. And like you more light was something I wished for. I now have a stock of candles plus 3 more oil lamps.
Something about sitting in the dark. :idunno

We learn a lot from those little test runs that make us strive to be more prepared so when and if something does happen we are ready.

Can't wait to see that wasp nest. Sounds like a doozy.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats! you passed the "test". We had our test last summer..when the storms came through here. We was without power for 5 days. I have a box of candles..now..this is not a small box. There are over 100 candles in there. I buy them after Christmas..when they go on sale for 10cents a piece. I have 6 oil lamps that stay full.....with plenty oil reserves. The laundry was the only thing I dreaded..and not haveing my monitor for the coops. Small tests like this will help out in the long run. Now we know, we MUST HAVE a generator...for the freezers. I lost ALOT of food...about half of our first butchered pig. :(

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always poo-poo the generator but I can see where it could be a godsend if you really needed it. We are the only house in our neighborhood with one (it came with the house when we bought it.) The thing that bugs me the most is that it is SO loud. Everyone within a mile radius immediately knows that you are running a generator. Seems pretty indulgent when your neighbors are sitting around in the cold and dark.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
poppycat said:
...The thing that bugs me the most is that it is SO loud...
Sometime back I saw a thread (on another site) about ways to quite a generator. Some of the methods were pretty creative, and I don't remember which ones actually worked.

I do remember one gentleman fabricated an exhaust pipe that ran into a barrel, which he had loosely layered rocks (for air space) and screen with sometime of fiberglass cloth. How well it worked, escapes me at the moment. I'll have to see if I can remember where the discussion took place.

Generators can be the object of thefts during emergencies and their noise serves as an advertisement. During a large ice storm, here in Arkansas some years back, I read about one such incident. The family went to bed with the generator running, and when they got up on schedule to fuel it, they found that someone had stolen it. In it's place they found a lawnmower. Some one had left a running push lawnmower in it's place, so that they would not notice the silence, when the generator was taken. :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you must have a huge generator to run the furnace! mine is a small one and can't handle the heat pump.

yea problem with a fireplace is alot of times the heat just stays right there, in front of the fire..LOL---but if truly needed you could camp out in front of the fireplace to stay warm so at least it is an emergency heat source.

you did well. I lost power for 4 days in an ice storm and yes, houses get real cold real fast. My mattress took FOREVER to warm back up....so cold....you know, all the house stuff was just cold! :)

a couple days is a good test time. lets you know what you need to do...like buy candles or some lanterns, battery or fuel. But light sure is needed. I have those camping lanterns with batteries. I can put one in each room and we can get around the house. I just can't handle leaving lighted candles anywhere. Don't have it in me to do that..haha

little tests are the best! none of us want to see truly how long we could make it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Poppycat it sounds like you did pretty well :)

The longest i ever remember losing power was a couple of hours, so I can't even imagine going that long. Now if/when we get our big overdue earthquake I will be partially prepared but it is not some thing that I have really focused too much on as our lives have been a little upside down. I think that this is they year to really prepare properly. I think 2009 is going to be a good year for my family so I better get to work doing my part!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on passing your trial run. It is great to figure out those little things you didn't think of before. :D

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you did well, congrats! And you learned a few things, to boot! That is like a bonus!:D