emergency repair supplies to have on hand

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have sort of a mental checklist of things we should always have around because if you need them you NEED them and you can't afford to say 'oh well, I shall wait til Monday when the store is open and the roads are plowed'.

Yesterday though I added another item to the mental list, having come home to discover a small waterfall coursing down the face of my fireplace courtesy of a hitherto-undiscovered roof leak. Sigh. All I could do was cobble together drip-diverters in the attic til the hardware store opened today and I could buy a tube of that black rubberized roof sealant patch stuff.

So my mental list of things never to run out of NOW reads something like:

several sheets of plywood
several tarps, including at least one VERY LARGE one
deck screws, both shortish and longish
replacement outlet hose for sump pump
utility pump (making sure it will *work*)
hose clamps
epoxy putty
rope
AND
at least one tube of that roof patch stuff :p

(plus of course appropriate tools, shovel, batteries, flashlight bulbs, etc)

I am sure that as the years go by I will discover more things I shoulda had around, but in order to short-circuit that sort of learning experence as much as possible, I'd be really curious to hear what everyone else considers their must-have household repair supplies.

?

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Great list. I might add duct tape, wire ties, baling wire (actually I have a roll of monel stainless wire), pvc and copper pipe with extra fittings, etc. I think that I could open a small hardware store, at times.

I have a whole host of different types of nails and screws, as well as various lumber stored in the rafters of my shed.

I've always felt that you can never have too much stuff! My wife has always felt that I am crazy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow pat sorry for your leak. that is just miserable to come home too! :(

but our lowe's and such is open til like 11 pm on the weekday so I know I could get my hands on some fixings if needed. I am happy they have the late hours, I love stores that open SUPER early for me and stay open super late..LOL

but you are right. everyone must have the basics.

for me, Tony and his Dad have "everything" at the barn that I can think of to fix problems. In that way we are fortunate. Tools beyond tools, all types of wood to choose if needed, every type of tape (duct of course, lol), and all. So I guess if stores are closed, we could easily shop the barn. I don't think there was ever a time that we couldn't get our hands on some type of material needed to fix something. At least we had "close" to fix it til we could get to a store.

So again, being a farm type situation helps us truly.