emergency water filter system--is this--

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
any good?

http://emergency-h2o.com/

seems like a very reasonable cost to have for emergencies. I don't know filter systems. never used them but wondered if something like this was worth having in supply room for 'what if'. We have some springs and small running stream on our yard. this system with boiling should easily provide fresh water?? right?

would like your thoughts. thanks

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
any good?

http://emergency-h2o.com/

seems like a very reasonable cost to have for emergencies. I don't know filter systems. never used them but wondered if something like this was worth having in supply room for 'what if'. We have some springs and small running stream on our yard. this system with boiling should easily provide fresh water?? right?

would like your thoughts. thanks
I looked at the system and it is basically a "poor mans" Berkey system. In that scenario, it looks ok. The price is certainly much less expensive than the Berkey.
It seems to me that if you were to just buy some of the "filter candles" and find your own container, you will have exactly what you need. They added a spigot to a white plastic bucket and what amounts to a large, plastic coffee filter. Little doubt you could do the same thing and not be paying more for the larger bucket. Berkey simply uses a nice stainless steel tank instead of a plastic bucket. From what I saw, that was the only difference. You could even stack the plastic buckets on top of each other in a three tier system and accomplish the same thing.

You can use any size bucket you want as long as the filter candle is installed correctly in the bottom. If you want, you can put up to 4 of them in a large food grade plastic bucket and do the same thing by filtering water into another bucket with a spigot and drinking that. Yes, much cheaper than a Berkey but works exactly the same.
I think it is OK, but imagine if you just buy the filter candle you'll come out ahead. The filter itself is the heart of the system and thus the only thing you REALLY need. You can improvise everything else for your self.
YMMV
Trim sends
//BT//

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought a 'kit' that had the candle, seals and spigot. $22 I think. Then bought 2 buckets + lids from Menards or Lowes ($3 each, plus $1 for the lids), and hubby set it up. We ended up buying a gamma lid for the top bucket, for easier filling. We had nasty, orange, rotten-egg smelling water at our house. It was horrid. This filter made it clear, odorless and perfectly drinkable. Our water here is better than good (Nestle has several wells in the area, where they draw for their bottled water plant just up the road), but we are certain that, if needed, our little system will serve us admirably :)

RhondaLynn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first post and I have a dumb question. I don't really understand the water filteration. Could someone explain the different parts. What is the "candle" We have a large lake on our property so I feel good about having water, I only need some way to filter it.

Rhonda

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
SS Dreaming, where did you buy your kit?

Welcome RhondaLynn!!!!! Nice to meet you!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
RhondaLynn said:
Hi All, This is my first post and I have a dumb question. I don't really understand the water filteration. Could someone explain the different parts. What is the "candle" We have a large lake on our property so I feel good about having water, I only need some way to filter it.

Rhonda
HI

go under this...Practical Survivor

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/

hit the Water on the list and it explains how to filter water and how to do it and all the reasons behind it. good little site.
hope that helps

RhondaLynn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you Farmer Chick.. that was exactly what I needed to see. Now I just need to go and order one with an extra filter!! I still want to know what a "candle" is??

Rhonda

gypsywoman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey here is a product I bought for my husband for Xmas and he now keeps it in his Jeep all the time. NO batteries required and an excellent backup to boiling/filtering, etc I got it at emgear dot net and just do a search for the Steripen Sidewiner. They also have other water treatment options available if you are looking for different layers of water safety. Hope this helps. LOVE this board!

gypsywoman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ooops, the Steripen Sidewinder! Sorry about the misspelling!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Candle

2.The protruding, removable portion of a filter, particularly a water filter.

I think a replacement part for ceramic filters.