2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoonful soda
1 teaspoonful cream of tartar

This makes one half the rule–

No baking instructions are given, but anybody with a basic understanding of baking techniques should have no trouble with this recipe. It’s a simple cake or “quick bread,” meaning it uses baking powder as a leavening agent. The mixture of cream of tartar and baking soda produces baking powder; you can combine the cream of tartar and soda as written, or simply substitute 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. I’ve written out detailed instructions for baking the cake below so you can try it yourself.

Regarding the phrase “one half the rule,” it would make sense that Emily would want a recipe in half-portion. A loaf-sized cake would be easier to wrap up and send than a full cake. Though Emily was reclusive and rarely left her home, she was known to send food gifts to friends and acquaintances.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Marianne! That sounds delish. Good thing it's "one half the rule" because if I make it I'll be the only one eating it. DH doesn't like coconut! (yay!)

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Frustrated, that sounds like my husband BUT he loves Almond Joy w/coconut. Go figure!

Marianne, thank you for the recipe!

Latest posts