Empire State Building cuts energy use 20%

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I just read this article:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/07/news/economy/empire_state_building/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

This is the part that I really liked:

The retrofits will cost $20 million once they're complete, and are expected to save the owners $4.4 million in annual energy costs.
That's a break even in only 4.5 years. After that, they are basically making a 22% low-risk return on their $20 million investment. That's pretty amazing since you can't get that kind of return on an investment anywhere else!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow! That is a huge return on investment! Buuuuuuut.....that just makes me wonder why the crap other wealthy big building owners aren't doing the same thing since it makes so much sense. Maybe if it catches on, it'll lower the prices across the board and make it more affordable for us little people. :p Ya never know....20ish years ago only the richest folks in America had those wonderful top o' the line bag phones in their car. :gig

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of variables at play. That's a huge old building that was built with totally inefficient materials, etc. I bet homeowners could get the same ROI if they have a really old / drafty house and spend a lot on heating and cooling.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah probably so...almost makes me wish I had a drafty old house for an excuse :p

Our problem is, there is no justification for the investment right now. If it becomes more popular, and drives the rpice down soem, it might be more feasible. As is though, it's not.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya, same with us and solar. I've always loved solar and wanted it on my house but it never made financial sense. Well in time two things happened:

1) My desire to "reduce my footprint" increased
2) Prices came down and CA / Federal rebates went up

So, we got solar.

There are lots of radio ads about replacing drafty windows and how they save power, but from what I've heard it takes a lot of years to break even on energy savings with windows, especially if you're paying someone else to put them in.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have always wanted solar, ever since I was in 5th grade and built a solar powered personal fan in Science class I've been intrigued with solar energy :lol: I love the idea of solar, but the initial cost is just prohibitive. I have reduced my footprint in other ways. Maybe some day I'll have solar though. Talking DH into it will be the real trick to getting it :p

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nifty said:
Ya, same with us and solar. I've always loved solar and wanted it on my house but it never made financial sense. Well in time two things happened:

2) Prices came down and CA / Federal rebates went up. Yep! basically that means that someone else is paying for your solar, Another case of welfare for the rich [or at least well off] It is another of those trickle down things, the cost was lowered by spreading the cost to those that got no benefit and then the ecomony of scale started to kick in and real cost reductions started. I hope you enjoy your solar because I paid for part of it!~gd

So, we got solar.

There are lots of radio ads about replacing drafty windows and how they save power, but from what I've heard it takes a lot of years to break even on energy savings with windows, especially if you're paying someone else to put them in.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

as i sometimes say SERIOUSLY

~gd said:
Nifty said:

2) Prices came down and CA / Federal rebates went up. Yep! basically that means that someone else is paying for your solar, Another case of welfare for the rich [or at least well off] It is another of those trickle down things, the cost was lowered by spreading the cost to those that got no benefit and then the ecomony of scale started to kick in and real cost reductions started. I hope you enjoy your solar because I paid for part of it!~gd

So, we got solar.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great article. Thanks for posting.