End of the world.....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
on Dec. 21 didn't happen :lol: :lol:

Anyone hear if there is another date in the future everyone is claiming is the 'next' end of the world date as we know it??

just curious if anyone has heard of another type of situation as this Dec. 21.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:p me neither but I figured there must be some apocolypse out there I haven't heard about yet :rolleyes:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not a topic that I pretend to know much about, friends. But someone once gave me a book (maybe out of print... definitely kinda old, by now) titled A History of the End of the World, by Yuri Rubinsky and Ian Wiseman. They trace the end-of-the-world predictions back around 3000 years ago. There have been many prophecies, many forecasts, even many philosophies and sects that concerned themselves with this, throughout the centuries. The soothsayers and prophets often predicted the changes would occur during their own lifetimes (though sometimes not).

Sometimes the envisioned end or transition was viewed as full of calamity, sometimes it was viewed as a beautiful resurgence of a long-past Golden Age. A modern twist: especially since the early 1950s, space Aliens were expected, by some, to be planning to clearly reveal themselves (for better or worse... heh, heh) to the human public - they'd be featured on radio, TV, and in the newspapers. (Hey, all this was before the internet and Youtube.) According to the authors, when the predictions fail to play out in everyday reality, the proponents usually have come up with explanations and excuses.

Anyhow, the book makes it clear that what didn't happened on Solstice 2012 isn't a new mistake, but the look didn't say much about predictions past the 1980s.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You mean besides Y2K? If you read old books and journals and such, someone is always claiming the end of the world as we know it. I've never bought into that crap. I prep, but I prep for realistic things, like storms and the like, not for aliens, monsters and zombies.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
If you read old books and journals and such, someone is always claiming the end of the world as we know it. I've never bought into that crap. I prep, but I prep for realistic things, like storms and the like, not for aliens, monsters and zombies.
Yeah. Far be it from me to tell others what to believe or to prep for, but storms, power-outages, blocked highways (up here, that happens from occasional landslides), and those sort of things are what I think about. Also - though I'm not predicting this - some kind of lengthy economic flatness or depression seems like it could occur. So these things seem like common-sense things to be prepared for. Plus, I like knowing how to do things.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess I'm also prepping for personal financial disaster as well, and fighting inflation. Cheaper to grow or make your own, most of the time.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ditto, folks.

We all know how poop happens. Nothing wrong w/ being prepared as a hedge against inflation, or whatever.

Because of the past, the DIY, Grow it Yourself, etc, is second nature to me.

I'm glad the Mayans didn't actually pull the plug. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If the Mayans pulled the plug I wouldn't have to pay all the bills sitting on the counter :lol: :p

I see an asteroid is due in 2040. maybe that is the next big thing??