Energy Saver bulbs-They work!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
You know those little squiggly light bulbs? We put those in various lights in our house. They actually do save energy which saves you money. Now, only if they could make a heat lamp like that.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are changing to CFL's also. As our old bulbs burn out, we are replacing them with CFL if possible.

I understand that you can't put them everywhere, though. (dh) John says you can't but them in a globed fixture? That's lame! We also hadn't seen any three-way bulbs, either. But I just saw one at Piggly Wiggly the other day for $9.50. That's high to me, but nonetheless, I will be buying a couple when our two three-way lamps burn out.

I also have two sets of lights on dimmer switches. As far as I know, there's no CFL version of that yet, either. Maybe soon.

Cassandra

yankeemtfarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Still undecided about CFL's

We have tried to replace allot of our incandescent lights in the barn and house with CFL's .
It really depends on where or who made them.I have some that are 15+ years old and still work, and some that i have purchased recently that maybe last 3 months, not much better than the current incandescent bulbs.

We really want to conserve but , what do you do?

BA

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
I found a Dimmable Cold Cathode Lights as they call it that lasts 25,000 hours :lol: I'm gettting them for the barn. They say they are good for poultry too.

Here is the rest of the technical data:

Long life Cold Cathode Dimmable Lamps are the new cutting edge technology for poultry house lighting, emergency lights, amusement areas, and any frequent start application!
Cold Cathode technology is excellent for all dimming applications.
Compensate for rate increases by electric companies.
Reduce your operating costs. These lamps need not be replaced so often.
Replace more costly incandescent lamp, with savings up to 25 watts per bulb.
5W, 120V, CRI: 80, 2,700K.
Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Over 25,000 hours of life.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
I found a Dimmable Cold Cathode Lights as they call it that lasts 25,000 hours :lol: I'm gettting them for the barn. They say they are good for poultry too.

Here is the rest of the technical data:

Long life Cold Cathode Dimmable Lamps are the new cutting edge technology for poultry house lighting, emergency lights, amusement areas, and any frequent start application!
Cold Cathode technology is excellent for all dimming applications.
Compensate for rate increases by electric companies.
Reduce your operating costs. These lamps need not be replaced so often.
Replace more costly incandescent lamp, with savings up to 25 watts per bulb.
5W, 120V, CRI: 80, 2,700K.
Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Over 25,000 hours of life.
Are they just long-lived, or do they use less energy as well?

Interesting. I've never heard of them (though I'm not really up on this stuff at all... :p)

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
also says 6.95-10.95 to buy so not that bad if you do the math.

a standard bulb goes 1,000 hours at .25 each means you need to buy 25 bulbs= 6.25
a energy saver bulb is 10,000 hours at 5.00 means you need to buy 2.5 bulbs =12.50

so its really not that bad and your only using one bulb = saveing in waste and less chemicals to make the bulbs

also the standard bulbs you have to add energy saveings.

VTmama

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I bought small dimmable candleabra CFL bulbs (that have an adapter for a regular size socket) at Lowe's and they had a larger size too.