ESSE Wood Cookstove with Boiler

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting a wood cook stove into a small cottage I'll be building this coming year. I've looked at a ton of these stoves, and wanted one that had a boiler loop option yet wouldn't look out of place being located in a living room. I also wanted a cast iron one that looked like a working stove and not a fancy kitchen stove with a highly-polished enamel finish.

I decided on an ESSE Ironheart wood stove out of the UK. It meet my needs exactly. The boiler loop within it will provide enough BTUs to be able to heat 3 standard hydronic radiators in other parts of the cottage for the six months of the year that I'll be using this stove.

I just feel better heating with wood. This stove will also be a joy to watch on a chilly winter night. It will also be nice for baking the occasional pie, pizza or loaf of good crusty bread.

ironheart.jpg

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is a beautiful wood cookstove. My husband and I have been thinking of putting in one into our home we built, but as of yet we haven't found the one we like. I like the older enameled pretty ones of course, but one that is efficient and does what is supposed to do will work. As a child most of our meals was cooked on an old Warm Morning wood cookstove (belonged to my great-grandmother) and there is nothing no better than fresh biscuits from a wood cookstove's oven! :drool Plus they are wonderful to have around when the power goes out!

BTW,...:welcome

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
That is a beautiful wood cookstove. My husband and I have been thinking of putting in one into our home we built, but as of yet we haven't found the one we like. I like the older enameled pretty ones of course, but one that is efficient and does what is supposed to do will work. As a child most of our meals was cooked on an old Warm Morning wood cookstove (belonged to my great-grandmother) and there is nothing no better than fresh biscuits from a wood cookstove's oven! :drool Plus they are wonderful to have around when the power goes out!
Thanks for the welcome.

If you're more partial to the "pretty enameled ones," check out this beauty made by Broseley (in the UK) called a Thermo Suprema 18.5. It's much more refined looking than the ESSE, but unfortunately it costs a pretty penny too. It will radiate about 12,000 BTU's to heat a room, and has a sizeable boiler built into it that can produce around 51,000 BTU's. Broseley estimates that's enough energy to heat 10 radiators throughout a house! And of course, it's a cookstove too.

Thermo_Suprema.jpg

I'm surprised there are so few wood boiler ranges made in the US. I'm guessing part of the reason is because they're so seasonal and people simply don't want to heat one of these when it's August and sweltering outside. As a seasonal heat source that occasionally gets used as a supplemental cook stove, they seem like a wonderful option.

Diavolicchio

Contemplation Leave
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
That stove looks amazing... :ep
I just find it really cool that someone could bake and cook with that stove AND use the boiler within it to heat 10 radiators throughout a house. And all using sustainable energy.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
It is sad that so many have to be imported :/

I saw some lovely stoves when I was shopping for ours, we opted for a cheaper one we could buy in store here, however the ones I really loved had lots of glass - I saw one that was like a big tube of glass and stood in the center of a room - it was stunningly beautiful!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
very nice stove.

problem for me is money. Yup, as much as all this stuff looks great and would be wonderful, I can't afford it..LOL

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a lovely stove, and a wonderful trip down memory lane for me! We had an Esse in our rented house when we lived in Ireland in the mid 1960s. It burned anthracite; I don't know, but imagine that it probably could have been fueled by other coal, or wood. It took my (modern American) mother quite awhile to master it, but she finally did, and missed it when we came back home. Because of the Esse the kitchen was always wonderfully warm, and where we were usually to be found on a cold, damp Irish day - it was going every day, of course, but that is an advantage, not a hardship, in Ireland. We had a heatwave during the time we were there ... it got into the 80's and didn't rain for 2 weeks! :lol:

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow that is nice! I wish we could aford one of those. Makes mine look like crap.