Essential Items For Surviving in the Event of Rationing-Depression

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, there is a thread going on, actually a couple of threads that are cross posting over at BYC regarding emergency preparedness.
Its actually about how the government could start rationing our food supply.
In fact someone said that the stores where they live are actually being limited on how much food they are allowed to order from a vendor at a time.
I know we have touched on this over here as far as stocking up on food supplies, but this thread is getting far more into it.
People want to know what else is just as important.
Tools, lightbulbs etc.
I told our friends over there, that I would start a thread over here to discuss it further with likeminded people.
There is alot of concern of the government stepping in and taking food that is hoarded.
Alot of people are discussing whether the government could take food that is grown or raised from them.
The premise of their thread is could your family survive a depression?
I think its a good topic, but someone suggested to a poster who wanted a list of important items,tools etc. to start a different thread on that.
So here is the thread, what people want to know is what is the most important tools to have, energy supplies and things of that nature.
I know we already have one on food supplies so I don't want to repeat the same things over and over, but if someone has something new to add go right ahead.
Hopefully people will come over to this site and get involved in the discussion.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hi, I am one of the posters in the thread at BYC and it is one of our local stores that the manager said they are limited on how much they can order of something. I kind of wandered over here hoping that I can find some information that will help my family, as our goal is to be self sufficient, period, depression or not.

I know stock piling food for ourselves has been mentioned, but has anyone consdidered what you will need to have on hand to feed household pets? (not chickens or livestock, but dogs, cats, caged pets, etc.)

I suggest stocking up on any and all cast iron pans/utensils that you can.

We also have some of that blue camping cookware and dishes (I think they come in other colors now, too?)

Also, needles, thread, etc. Items for first aid kits.

Tools: Sledge hammer, post hole digger, sickle if you can get one (comes in handy to cut hay the old fashion way for livestock).
If you are worried about mowing your yard without using gas, they do have blade mowers like the Amish use.

I am sure there are alot of other things, I just can't think of them right now.

I learned how to sew by hand. Stocked up on material so I can make clothes for my kids if needed.

the1much

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i made it Simple-life,,hehe,,,man was hard registering,,secret question,"what did you scramble this mornin",,,,MY HEAD,,, but that wasnt right,,ahha :lol:
well i guess i can start with the first couple.
TOOLS: ALL hand tools, shovels,rakes,sledge hammer,saws,pick axe,axes,,nails,, rope, hammers,so on,,,first aid supplies, canning equipment,(EXTRAS in case of breakage), cloth,threads,, man,,,i have such a big list,, i could probably go on for a few pages, just for what I think should be things we make sure we have.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Needles, GOOD thread, various sorts of fabric (not foofy types). Safety pins, GOOD elastic, velcro, buttons.

Nails, screws, nuts, bolts, thin wire, heavy wire, fencing.

Plastic sheeting, heavy tarps

Exterior grade plywood

Reusable containers that seal well, of all sizes

Hand tools (several good saws, hand drill or bit and brace, etc)

Big woodpile if you have a fireplace or woodburning stove

Fireplace or woodburning stove, if you don't :p

Cookware that can be used over an open fire (metal handles)

Good shovel(s) and breaker bar

'swhat comes to mind at present. We have a reasonable (not adequate for ages and ages) supply of all of the above except no woodburning stove nor functional fireplace.

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoo Hoooo I made it!!!!

Thnks for jumping on the hand tool question so quickly. I allways tease my husband that if we ever manage to leave So. California we could open a hardware store. I think with what he has in our garage alone we would be ok, for a while that is. Until I thought about the power tool thing. So I am on a new mission. I am going to make him so happy. I will write a list of "Aceptable tools to purchase". he will go nuts.

So anyways I am sure there are a million other topics around here I would love to read. I'll be back. Gina

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Basic health-care supplies also come to mind (aspirin, acetominophin, salt, bleach, bandage such as Ace and/or Vetrap, cloth diapers and not just for intended purpose, hot water bottle, a couple of livestock antibiotics)

Canning lids!! Lots of them.

And, soldering (or better, welding) tools and supplies.

Pat

the1much

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Basic health-care supplies also come to mind (aspirin, acetominophin, salt, bleach, bandage such as Ace and/or Vetrap, cloth diapers and not just for intended purpose, hot water bottle, a couple of livestock antibiotics)

Pat
remember,, we may not have electric,or fuel for butane,, or any kind of gas and so forth.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
the1much said:
patandchickens said:

Pat
remember,, we may not have electric,or fuel for butane,, or any kind of gas and so forth.
Not sure how that's required for any of the above other than soldering/welding - and I would sure want to have the capacity to solder or weld while fuel is available. I mean, really, what is the substitute, for repairing or fabricating metal stuff? So you wouldn't want to be unable to do it purely for lack of the *non-fuel* part of the equation.

Pat

the1much

Power Conserver
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
the1much said:
patandchickens said:

Pat
Not sure how that's required for any of the above other than soldering/welding - and I would sure want to have the capacity to solder or weld while fuel is available. I mean, really, what is the substitute, for repairing or fabricating metal stuff? So you wouldn't want to be unable to do it purely for lack of the *non-fuel* part of the equation.

Pat
hand drill and rivets.
but gas, fuel,and food, will be the first things on the list rationed.,,, and you would need to already have your metal, cause there wont be any more "producing" it,,, cept for the small blacksmiths.

the1much

Power Conserver
Reaction score
figure everything is going to go back to the ways it was,,,no electric,fuel,,, and if you make things now out of this stuff, how will you repair later down the road?. this "topic" goes WAY deeper then just a fast list,,, you gotta think that if its bad enough to ration food,, then our money will be useless ( almost already is) and we'll be back in the "cowboy" days.
me for 1 dont even have HALF the room i would need to store the things i think will be necessary . ( anyone got some storage buildingS i can borrow? :D )

Latest posts