Ever Given Blocking Suez Canal

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the world's largest container ships, the Ever Given was beached on Tuesday in the Suez Canal. Over 48 hours later, the ship continues to block off the ever-important global trading route.

Ever Given is 1,300 feet long is more than twice the height of the Washington Monument, was wedged sideways across the Suez Canal, blocking all traffic.

Ever Given is owned by Shoei Kisen Kaisha Ltd of Japan but operated by the Taiwanese shipping giant Evergreen.

Some 50 ships are meant to pass through the canal per day, making up 19,000 ships per year.

Apparently they called in the plumbing crew to unplug the blockage.
IMG_20210325_204736_882.jpg

Last I heard there are 100's of cargo ships anchored waiting on the plumbers. I've even read that they may have to unload the ship so it will float free. I've also read, it could be upto a 2 week plumbing job.

You can see it's a pretty dog gone big clog.
IMG_20210325_210812_233.jpg

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is going to send world economy into an economic collapse of never seen before proportions. B/C, even the GNP of countries that is not being shipped will be hoarded and inflated to astronomic proportions. Hang on, folks. the ride is going to get wilder than we've ever seen.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Such a mess. I am only one person, but I buy a pkg of toilet paper EVERY TIME I go in a walmart or dollar general or whatever....and usually kleenex and sometimes papertowels; I don't use alot of paper towels, preferring dish towels for most things.... I don't drink coffee and don't know anyone close who does more than an occasional cup... but I have plenty of hersheys syrup and Nestle' Quik for choc milk and hot cocoa stashed.... Also keep plenty of soap, and toothpaste, and deodorant, Q-tips, and some gauze and bandaids....Don't want to ever get as low as I got the last time, and I still had a fair amount stashed back....

Still can't find any canning lids in Walmarts or the co-op.... I am ordering some of the rubber rings for my old glass bail-top canning jars; Lehman's has them. Got some canning lids from U-line.... but want to get a full sleeve for backup.... have some of the tattler lids but don't want them on anything I give away or share since you don't know if you are going to get them back.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its been freed and refloated now. I only learned of it in the first place because of the memes 🤣 it barely made news waves here until tonight, after being moved. I guess because it barely affected anything in Australia. I didnt even know what the suez canal was!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, it's freed. but the back up of ships waiting to get through will send prices of all goods through the roof. I'm guessing we won't see the end of the inflation from that until the end of the summer. By then, there will be a whole new "boatload" (pun intended) set of excuses for inflation.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I have read/seen, is that they moved the Ever Given to a "lake" area for assessment and repairs.... it is in a area where other ships can get through so that it can be held there and checked out....

"Suez Canal Authority Chairman Osama Rabie has suggested weather conditions, including high winds, and human error could have played a role in the grounding, which brought global shipping commerce to a standstill."

Boy wind and lightening are DANGEROUS all of a sudden 🤣. Please tell me wind is going to move a fully loaded 1300 ft cargo ship. I have some sawp land, I'll see you real cheap too.

Sorry but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, you know?

Self-Saver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
No hurricane, no tornado. That is a fact, Jack. the other fact is that there were 40 mph winds that day. Some ships went through with the assistance of tug boats. At least one chose not to go through at all. Human error and high winds grounded the ship. No snake under that rock.

That information comes from the Suez Canal Authority.