eViL cRaMpS!!!! >:-O

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:barnie :he :th :rant :somad :sick :hit

so ya... period #2 and today decided that i'm gonna start 2 days early and have cramps right off...

blah!!!!!! :rant

i feel like i'm getting stabbed on each side of my pelvis (front) and on each side (back)..... NOT COOL AT ALL!!!

i guess i'm just venting...
but if anyone knows a way to dull the stabbing that would be awesome....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have to confess it is the one thing that turns me to Tylenol. I'm allergic to aspirin and Ibuprofen. I can suffer through anything else but those 2 days of stabbing pain. I can use a hot water bottle or pug when I'm home but I can't stay home every month.:hide

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. It gives me about 4 hours of relief.

Heating pad, hot water bottle, whatever. Either put it on the small of your back, or curl up around it with it on your tummy.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
lwheelr said:
Red Raspberry Leaf Tea. It gives me about 4 hours of relief.
Never heard that b4. But, if you have a mare that's a real PITA when she's in heat, you can use something called Mare Magic that's made from raspberry leaves.

lwheelr said:
Heating pad, hot water bottle, whatever. Either put it on the small of your back, or curl up around it with it on your tummy.
That's what I used to do when I had cramps real bad.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Red Raspberry also reduces heavy menstrual bleeding, by a noticeable amount.

So does sage, chamomile, and a few others.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's bad enough that you're willing to take meds (maybe not since this is in the "natural remedies" section), ibuprofen has something in it that stops the muscles from cramping, and it also offers pain relief. Otherwise, I agree with the heat suggestion. Hope you feel better soon.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've used both ibuprofen, and Red Raspberry, and found that while ibuprofen CAN be made to last longer (I had to take four at a time to last 8 hours), there were serious side effects. It can be a Central Nervous System depressant in some people, and I am one of them. Sleep apnea was not a reasonable risk. So for a long time I took IB during the daytime.

The last few times I dealt with it I could not use IB at all because of Crohn's. So I used Red Raspberry and Sage instead. They were just as effective as the IB at reducing flow, though I had to take them more often. Sage is pretty rough on the intestines too though, but RR isn't, it actually helps with that.

I used Red Raspberry for many years when I had severe cramping - from my teen years, until after my fifth child, they got worse every year, radiating down my legs. Red Raspberry did really well at helping to control that, I never had to use any other pain control for it other than a heating pad while I waited for it to kick in.

Homegrown was the best - we harvested tips in the spring, dried them whole, didn't crush them until use. Quite a bit more powerful than the commercial stuff.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if you are into yoga or not, but there are several poses that help with the discomforts of menstruation. While you are menstruating, you should take it easy. Raspberry leaf tea and rest that other suggested is good advice. Only do the poses you are comfortable with while you are menstruating--don't push yourself. Yoga will help the most if you do it daily during the month before your period. Hope you feel better!

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-and-health/yoga-for-dysmenorrhea-and-pms.asp

http://www.fitsugar.com/Yoga-Poses-Dysmenorrhea-131470