Excalibur dehydrator?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had an American Harvest (Nesco) dehydrator for close to 30 years, and have been quite pleased with it. It is fairly quiet, has enough drying space for my needs (expands to 30 trays, though I "only" have 12), and I have seldom found that I needed to rearrange the trays for even drying (as, I have read, others have complained about). But, unfortunately, the heating element has finally quit working, and DH says he doesn't think it can be fixed.

I have heard many good things about the Excalibur, and am thinking of replacing the A.H. with one of them. But I've never seen/heard it in action, and would appreciate any thoughts you might have. Is it loud?

I could replace the one I have with another like it - thus being able to continue using the trays I have - but I can afford the Excalibur now, where I couldn't 30 years ago, and wonder if it is worth the extra money. I rather like the idea of being able to remove trays to make room for bulkier items, or a bowl of bread dough.

Your thoughts?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well you can dry some items without heat. If you live in a cold climate you might be amazed how fast cold dry air will suck moisture. Even if it freezes it will work that is what freezer burn is all about.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you ~gd; I appreciate your taking time to respond. That is what I have been doing for the last week or so. You're right, it works quite well -- sometimes - mushrooms will dry with hardly any help no matter what I do. The thing is, I don't live in a very cold climate (south west Oregon); it is, at present and for the foreseeable future (till Spring ;)) cool and humid. The cool, wet air does not allow for easy drying. I found this out last night (which is what prompted the research I have been doing this morning) I had a few apples that needed to be dealt with immediately, so they got peeled and sliced, and popped in the dehydrator; I figured the moving air, though cool, would do the job. Some hours later there was no difference! Still moist and pliable. I could easily see that the slices would mold before drying. (This is why I can't hang out laundry in the Winter here either, even though my laundry line is on a covered deck; the clothes just mildew). The apples went into the oven, on low, and have dried just fine, but that isn't a good long term solution.
I've been drying food for decades, and know the ins and outs of it - I've sun dried in California, and oven dried, and have used the dehydrator - which is the best solution for my needs, and the climate I now live in. I'm just wondering about the pros and cons of the Excalibur - which is touted as being "the best".

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
in previous built dehydrators i found it very pesky to try and clean after jerky spills..with the element exposed.so when i saw a nesco for $5 at a garage sale i snatched it up...and loved the easy clean and ease of use....
till i was exposed to the excalabur....
and after researching and having a lovely hubby who obliged me with purchasing...
i have now owened one for a year....
And it does take dehydrating to a dfferent league...
with the round dehydrators it is a process to remove product from trays...
but with the excalabur...you just fold the sheet and they all slip nicely in a jar...
things dry much quicker...and is great to have the temperature controll...
it has a permanent spot it my kitchen and does get used lots...
would definately recomend moving on up to a 9 tray excalabur...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you cheepo - I was looking for first hand experience; thanks for sharing yours. Do you find the machine to be very loud?

Happy Christmas!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i don't find the noise to be an issue at all...when you take all the trays out..you can see that the fan is quit a large substantial size..it has a sort of grate around it...the only time i have had a very slight sound issue..is if i am drying something with parchment paper and with the circulation it has sort of flapped against it...very minor..definately would not classify it as noisy...sort of a very low whirl that you know it is on...it came with a 10 year warrenty...something i really don't think you see much thease days...so i felt confident that it would last...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I wanted to know too! I just got my Family Grain mill and the Excaliber 9 tray is next on my list!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the Excaliber that my mom gave me over 25 years ago and I love it, my sister has the same one and does so much with hers that her DH bought her another one. She loves the new one because it has a timer and has both of them going summer and fall. I love my old Excaliber and if it ever goes I will get another one. The sheets for leather are also very nice nothing sticks, I use them when I dry sweet corn as well.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have Excaliber models, for a little bit more money, you can get commercial grade models. My sister got rid of her Excaliber for one since they do a lot of jerky. YMMV