Experience with alkaline battery recharging?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here;s a link to an article about alkaline cell rechargers (i.e., for batteries used with flashlights, lanterns, cameras, entertainment controllers, etc).
http://knowledgeweighsnothing.com/how-to-recharge-single-use-alkaline-batteries/

Reading an article is one thing. I know you can buy these gadgets for recharging, but would like to hear from anyone on SS who has been using one. For instance, are the alkaline cells rechargeable indefinitely (similar to a "rechargeable battery" purchased as such)? Or is there a fairly near-term tapering off of the charge you get with a given battery?

Even "rechargeable" batteries have a limited life, as most of us have experienced.

So...?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No replies here... but I did get one on another forum. So for those whose curiosity has been piqued and are interested: no, alkaline batteries are not fully rechargeable. The first recharges do not last very long, and the degree of chargeability falls off rapidly after that first recharge.

I'll mention here (from numerous personal experiences) that batteries that are failing (i.e., becoming weak) can give a little longer effective service if you warm them (like in a toaster oven) for 5 minutes or so at about 125*F or so. I put a piece of foil under them. I've never had any problem doing this (they haven't exploded or leaked), but I've never left them in longer than, say, 10 minutes.