Extended Pantry

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a small extra room that had been used for my Amateur Radio gear, but lately it has been sitting unused, except for collecting junk. So we decided to use it for an extended pantry so that we could unclutter our main pantry. We needed shelves, and not being anywhere close to a carpenter, we went with the easiest design that I could come up with. The buckets are stacked two high and two deep, giving us room for 32 of them. I added rails to the next shelves to keep things from (hopefully) falling off, since we get the occasional small tremor. This will be even more important as we start using the shelves for our filled canning jars. We'll be adding another set of shelves to the opposite wall soon, with one side being intended for food, and the other for non-food items.

ExtendedPantry2.jpg

The 2x4 on the left isn't really bowed, it's just the angle and the cheap camera. I have not added added the rails to the end yet, but will be doing so later this weekend.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We have a small extra room that had been used for my Amateur Radio gear, but lately it has been sitting unused, except for collecting junk. So we decided to use it for an extended pantry so that we could unclutter our main pantry. We needed shelves, and not being anywhere close to a carpenter, we went with the easiest design that I could come up with. The buckets are stacked two high and two deep, giving us room for 32 of them. I added rails to the next shelves to keep things from (hopefully) falling off, since we get the occasional small tremor. This will be even more important as we start using the shelves for our filled canning jars. We'll be adding another set of shelves to the opposite wall soon, with one side being intended for food, and the other for non-food items.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii242/k0xxx/ExtendedPantry2.jpg

The 2x4 on the left isn't really bowed, it's just the angle and the cheap camera. I have not added added the rails to the end yet, but will be doing so later this weekend.
Thats awesome! I'd like to do something like that instead of what we currently have. Our pantry is so deep it is hard to see what all is in it sometimes.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looking good. I have very similar shelves.

I have a couple questions. I was going to address them to skr8pn because he has a similar set up... but I am sure here will do.

Do you keep your canning in the dark?

I have just added a wall of shelving in my garage. I am thinking about putting up curtains or some type of front cover. Not only to protect the food from light but conceal it as well.

What do you think???

g

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
...Do you keep your canning in the dark?... g
Yes. We keep the light off and the door closed as much as possible. Our main pantry doesn't have any windows. We have an east facing window in the extended pantry, but we have blinds up, and my wife will be sewing some heavy, quilted curtains to block most of the light. Light, heat, and oxygen are the three things to avoid in order to increase shelf life.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cool beans! Awesome pantry area and I love the extra rail idea for rumblings. The shelves look good and sturdy. You did a good job!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks great, and it's going to be so wonderful to walk in there once those shelves are full each time you need something! :)

Latest posts