fabric softener

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts that involve making your own detergents, but I can't seem to find anything about fabric softeners. I do use vinegar in the rinse cycle, but still end up with some static. I used to get cheap cartons of concentrated fabric softener from Walmart and I'd dilute it and either add it to the rinse cycle or just dampen a washcloth with it and throw it in the dryer.
But now Walmart isn't carrying the concentrated cartons anymore, and I just can't see paying $10 for a jug of watery stuff that gets used up fast. Has anyone had success in making their own fabric softener? If so, please share! If not, does anyone know a source for the concentrated stuff? I'd rather make my own, because I have no idea what's in the concentrated stuff, but I'll use it if I can't make my own. Thanks!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have misplaced my original instructions...
but i add about 3 cups vinager...and a container of conditioner...
the smelly cheep buck ones...are fine
i have done it with shampoo...but conditioner is better...
then fill the jug with water...
thats it...
clothes come out nice and soft..

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok I can help but if you cant stand my know-it-all altitude or Chemistry makes you dizzy, I suggest you skip down to the next post.
Detergents for clothes and dishes [including soap] are usually basic [solution pH>7] in hard water they usually leave a residue behind that makes cloth stiff, and slightly yellow. Fabric Softeners come is two types, the kind added directly to the wash water are nonionic [neutral pH] based like most shampoos, they are not very available in bulk to the public. The only suggestion I have is try some cheap shampoo or hair conditioner but beware of over sudsing.
Softeners added to the RINSE water or as dryer sheets are usually acidic [pH<7]. Vinegar will work in minor problems since it will neutralize and dissolve limited amounts of the residue. Quaternary ammonium salts are popular chemicals used in foodservice industry as sanitizing agents diluted to 200 parts per million where it will replace chlorine bleach because of the smell and the pitting action of bleach on stainless steel. Dairies use it for milk stone removal. IF YOU FIND SOME USE CAUTION UNTIL WELL DILUTED, It will kill germs at 200 ppm and is very toxic.
In general be aware that overuse of fabric softener can have bad effects, Towels can be soft as a cloud but not absorb water. Underwear can become clammy for the same reason. Cure by rewashing without softener. I usually skip it one week per month. ~gd

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gd, I appreciate that explanation. I get most of it, which makes me feel smarter than I really am. :D
Thanks, everyone. I like these recipes much better than the store-bought stuff!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't generally get any static even if I don't use a dryer sheet or vinegar. I separate clothes by fiber. Almost all of our clothes are cotton or superwash wool.

I usually use a dryer sheet with clothes (never towels) just to keep them from smelling stale with our water. I'm going to have to get some cheap conditioner and try that.

Would a scentless conditioner and a few drops of essential oil work to scent everything nicely?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know if there'd be much fragrance, it'd all depend on how much essential oil you used (and that could get pretty pricey).

I just use conditioner and water now. My husband just hates the smell of vinegar. He agreed that he couldn't smell it on the clothes after they were dried, but I finally gave up on using it when he's home.

I also keep a spray bottle with a dab of conditioner, then filled with water, to spray on anything that ends up with static. You can also spray this on a cloth to use for dusting furniture. Furniture remains dust free longer.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I don't know if there'd be much fragrance, it'd all depend on how much essential oil you used (and that could get pretty pricey).

I just use conditioner and water now. My husband just hates the smell of vinegar. He agreed that he couldn't smell it on the clothes after they were dried, but I finally gave up on using it when he's home.

I also keep a spray bottle with a dab of conditioner, then filled with water, to spray on anything that ends up with static. You can also spray this on a cloth to use for dusting furniture. Furniture remains dust free longer.
You can use it in place of one of those pricey detangling spray conditioners also. My hair is a complete bear when wet, can't get a brush through it to save your life, even if it was brushed BEFORE it got wet and I don't mess it all up in the shower. But some watered down conditioner in a spray bottle and a few spritzes lets the brush glide through. :)

Fabric softener isn't what it used to be. I used to dampen a cloth and toss that into the dryer, and it would come out super soft and smelling great. Now? It hardly works, the fabric softener is not nearly as viscous as it used to be. :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't even bother w/fabric softener. I'll use vinegar in the rinse cycle at times, but that's about it.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I like to put the towels out to air dry because even though they're stiff, they are much more absorbant. But when I take a blouse out of the dryer and it's covered with a dozen knee-high stockings, (makes it look like an alien clump!) I realize I must need something. I never would have thought of conditioner. That's why I love coming here and learning new things!