facts on wind power

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I live where it is cloudy most of the time. We get some nice wind gusts however and I've been looking into wind power. I found these little facts on wind power on the web from www.factsmonk.com I thought I'd share.

Here are some interesting wind power facts:

As long as the Sun shines on the Earth, wind power will exist. Since the Sun is expected to shine for anther 4.5 billion years, wind power is considered a renewable power source.
Man has used wind power ever since he learned to sail boats.
The first windmills were used to grind grain in Iran, then known as Persia.
Holland has historically been the leader in windmill technology.
Windmills were used by American colonists to move water, grind grain and cut wood.
Windmills were a significant source of power in rural America in the 1920s.
California is the leading wind power producer in the United States.
Germany is the largest wind power producer in the world.
Spain is second.
Windmills come in two types, vertical and horizontal.
Vertical windmills look like upside down eggbeaters.
Horizontal windmills look like what youve seen on television or in books, i.e., the traditional structure with a wheel of blades perpendicular to the ground and spinning.
Wind power plants are typically owned by private companies, which sell the power to traditional utility companies.
The United States gets roughly 17 billion kilowatts of electricity each year from wind power.
This yearly wind power production is enough to provide all the power needs of the City of Chicago.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At the Altamont Pass, near Pleasanton CA, there are thousands of windmills. I believe they were a fad investment years ago, and, having spent the last 9 years every other weekend, passing thru that Pass, I'm sad to say that rarely are even 10% turning. There must be a cost barrier to efficiently operate them for their owners. I don't know. I just was saddened by the obvious opportunity that was not partaken of.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
murphysranch said:
At the Altamont Pass, near Pleasanton CA, there are thousands of windmills. I believe they were a fad investment years ago, and, having spent the last 9 years every other weekend, passing thru that Pass, I'm sad to say that rarely are even 10% turning. There must be a cost barrier to efficiently operate them for their owners. I don't know. I just was saddened by the obvious opportunity that was not partaken of.
Strange. :/ Has that happened just recently or were they always only 10% turning?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've seen parts of those huge windmills on the back of semi's going somewhere.......... :/

I would LOVE to have one to generate some power - solar panels wouldn't be the best choice for us as we can go weeks without sun in winter time.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
There are a ton of GIANT turbines here in WA. I remember seeing them and was blown away by their size. Thank goodness, they were all turning.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know there's been some talk of putting towers up off the coast of the Jersey shore. Not sure if it's going to be done or not.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sigh - I'd love to use wind power, but here in the SUNNY state of GA, wind just isn't cost effective, unless you live on the coast - which I don't. Sigh