Fair price for garden starts?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have 33 heirloom squash starts, and about 30 heirloom cabbage starts that I cannot fit in the gardens.
What is a fair price to ask, if I sell them?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Around here good starts have been going for anywhere from 79 cents for small ones to 2.99 for bigger ones. I didn't see them in particular but personally I'd pay a buck but no more although heirloom sounds interesting.

I might pay more for the cabbage than the squash because I have a harder time getting that started.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Thanks! Haha! I can get just about anything to start, :hide and that usually has me swimming in starts.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yep... around here you can get small 4-packs for about $1.50, up to large tomato plants (not really starts, but taller than knee high plants) for $5.99 each.

I was thinking about selling starts next year since every thing seemed to do great this year for me... although stuff died when I didn't harden it off enough...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have been getting them for a quarter, but lots of folks have quit buying and have their gardens in and finished here now so this is considered "clearance" type items. I'm still getting a few things along the way, planting in pots and such.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I have been getting them for a quarter, but lots of folks have quit buying and have their gardens in and finished here now so this is considered "clearance" type items. I'm still getting a few things along the way, planting in pots and such.
We are just getting most things in up here, so no clearance until the middle of the month :)

I ended up putting 50 cents on the cabbage, and $1 on the 3 pack squash.
Hope to see them gone soon!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I paid 2.99 for squash starts. I was panicing because none of mine were coming up. Of course NOW they are, but I will make room :D