Family milk cows

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just wondering if any SS members have a family milk cow.
We have a small Dexter herd. We are currently milking just one now.

I have a question and hope someone here can help. I've been reading and searching for this answer, but only get more confused. She is bred and we estimate that she'll calve the very end of February (2/26/09 if we figured correctly)
We need to know when to stop milking to allow her to dry off in preparation for her new calf. But, I find differing information on this - anywhere from 45 days to 90 days.

I'd really appreciate the advice from someone who has experience, especially from someone with a family milk cow.

Thanks so much.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Don't have a milk cow yet, but plan on getting a dexter hopefully this spring. I would recommend going over to backyard cows (on bottom of page) and asking there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, prariegirl do you have pictures you can share? I know nothing about cows but would love to see.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Used to have one growing up, but we didn't keep her long enough for a breeding program. I really, really, really want to have a Jersy cow and have wanted one for as long as I can remember!

Yes, Prairiegirl, please post pics of your Dexters!

Here's a link to the Oregon Extension site for drying off info:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/em/em8624/#anchor217515

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my best friend Barb owns a dairy farm
she has done this for 40 years almost now.....so I will ask her tomorrow

she always has cows in the dry lot

I will be back and post what she says.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth, I hope you get your Dexter. We just love them.

TanksHill, I will try to get some pics to share. That is, if I can get them from the camera to here.LOL I'm afraid I'm not up to speed as far as computers go.LOL

Beekissed, I felt the same way about Jerseys. I wanted a Jersey milking gal and I got one. She was a calf and sadly she was only with us for 7 1/2 mon. She was a sickly one and we had to let her go. But, I couldn't ask for a cow any better than the gal I'm milking now. She is so very gentle and she gives wonderful milk.
Thanks for the link, too.

Our plan is on track for us to have her dried off by Christmas. It will be bittersweet - I will enjoy the time off from milking, but the milk and all the goodness that comes from it will be greatly missed. All the butter stashed away in the freezer will be good reminder of fresh milk to come.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is it more difficult to milk a short cow? I've only ever milked Holstein and goats on a milking stand.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmerchick, that's very kind of you. Thanks.

Beekissed, it is more of a challenge, especially after milking a taller cow. But, she's so gentle it makes it easy. The real difference has been the size of her teats - small. This has been her first lactation so as time goes, they seem to stretch. Hope that makes sense.

I actually don't sit on a stool to milk. Just another one of my weird ways of doing things. I squat, harder on the knees and legs, but they are used to it now. It just works for me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Be kind of cool to have a raised platform for them, wouldn't it? Easier on you. I would love to be able to make some fresh butter. I'm going to try to adapt my Dorper ewes to milking sheep so I can make some butters and soft cheeses.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have an angus that calved last yr in Oct & before she did I was trying to convince dh to milk her & he refused as she is a bit skeetish since she is blind in one eye. But she is still nursing & I just drool whenever I go out there & see the fresh milk on the heifers face. Dh says when we bred the heifer & she calves we will milk her. Our cows are angus. But I would love to have a jersey or dexter.