Farina

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had a box of Farina in my cupboard for a very long time. No one in my family will eat it. What can I do with it. Can I add it to some other recipeor something? I hate to throw anything that can be used. What should I do with it?? If nothing else could I feed it to my chickens??

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farina is good ...yum.
If no people would eat it, I think the chickens would like it.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
There are lots of recipes that you can use farina in, like cakes, muffins, etc., try googling it & see what you come up with. They are the old recipes from way back in the day so they should be good ones.

Farina is like cream of wheat. To the one who asked what it was.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about giving it to the chickens.....does it "plump" up if fed dry? I can't remember cause I haven't seen Farina in a long time. Any expandable food isn't a good option for critters.

But HM is right. Google Farina Recipes and I am sure you will have a ton of use for it!!!!

Let us know what you find!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure you could cook it up and feed to chickens. I always thought Farine was cream of wheat. So what's the difference in the two? Anyone?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA I don't have a clue!
Farina is a brand name of cream of wheat maybe?????
LOL
I gotta google this stuff again and see what it is..LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I posted a reply at BYC but reading this here I realized I neglected to say that I did soak mine (kinda like oatmeal?). But ya, it will not hurt your chickens, Mine are still alive and fine after I fed it to them almost two months ago.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay Farina & Cream of wheat are the same thing. Cream of Wheat is a trade mark name that is the only difference. It is made from the endosperm & wheat germ of a wheat berry.

www.Recipezaar.com has a ton of recipes to use it in. I was liking the bluberry muffin one I might try it.

Good luck with it.

I have an uncle who will eat farina but not cream of wheat, go figure. I always liked them both & now i know they are the exact same thing just trademark names is all.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--thanks! Who knew Farina could be so confusing..HA HA