Farmer's Almanac of the Best Days to Garden

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
August 2008
1 Fine for planting beans, tomatoes, corn, cotton, cucumbers, peppers, melons, and other aboveground crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

2-6 A barren time. Best for killing weeds, briars, poison ivy and other plant pests. Clear woodlots and fence rows.

7-8 Good days for planting above ground crops. Excellent for sowing grains, winter wheat, oats and rye. Plant flowers.

9-11 Plant peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers and other above ground crops in southern Florida, California and Texas. Extra good for leafy vegetables. Plant seedbeds.

12-13 Cut winter wood, do clearing and plowing, but no planting.

14-15 A good time to plant above ground crops.

16-17 Barren days, fine for killing plant pests.

18-19 Barren days, fine for killing plant pests.

20-21 Barren days, do no planting.

22-23 Root crops that can be planted now will yield well.

24-26 Any seeds planted now will tend to rot.

27-28 Most favorable days for planting beets, onions, turnips and other root crops. Plant seedbeds and flower gardens.

29-31 A barren time. Best for killing weeds, briars, poison ivy and other plant pests. Clear woodlots and fence rows.

follow farmersalmanac at http://twitter.comSeptember 2008
1-2 A most barren period, best for killing plant pests or doing chores around the farm.

3-5 Good days for planting peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers and other above ground crops in southern Florida, Texas and California. Excellent for sowing grains, hay and forage crops. Plant flowers.

6-7 Excellent time for planting above ground crops that can be planted now, including leafy vegetables, which will do well. Start seedbeds.

8-9 Clear fence rows, woodlots and fields, but do no planting.

10-11 Any above ground crops that can be planted now will do well.

12-13 Poor planting days. Kill plant pests.

14-15 First day favorable for planting above ground crops. Second day good for root crops. All days good for vine crops.

16-17 Seeds planted now will grow poorly and yield little.

18-20 Good days for planting root crops.

21-22 Seeds planted now tend to rot in ground.

23-24 Fine planting days for fall potatoes, turnips, onions, carrots, beets and other root crops. Also plant seed beds and flower gardens.

25-30 A most barren period, best for killing plant pests or doing chores around the farm.

smom1976

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking about this just yesterday.. I planted an entire 4x8 garden on tuesday the 12th..

I planted in between rains.. and then it has rained during the last two days a bunch.. I hope that it works.. :rolleyes:

Latest posts