tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm curious others thoughts on fasting. I think it fits into SS as disease prevention.

But also fits in on frguality - too tired to cook? Dont get takeout, just skip supper.

And it fits into prepping. Food security is a less scary thing if you are comfortable and confident fasting.

Do you practice fasting? What works for you? Why do you fast?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, guys -- I'm an only here, so buy and eat what I want, no extras or comments! :lol:
I actually buy little beyond some meats, occasional salad, always coffee & tea bought. Some wine, rarely a soda and I drink coffee black, tea with goat milk. Low maintenance. 😊. Rarely eat out or at fast food, maybe once every 3-4 months.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is going to take some adjustments - but I think I can manage it in some shape or form. DH can't fast - he's on an insulin pump so he must eat. He wants to do a Mediterranean type diet. I've been shopping and have tons of veggies, fish, shrimp and all manner of good healthy food.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just found this. Had a freaking scary issue last week that people go to emergency rooms for. Did a three day water only fast, with potassium chloride and magnesium chloride flakes in water sipped throughout the day (not in the same cup. They should be taken separate from each other). The fasting had amazing effects, and the main symptom started getting better withing 24 hours, ans is now gone. Another issue that I've had for almost two years is mostly gone! I wasn't hungry at all, really just wanted to get better.

Now eating mostly veggie soup made fresh every day, late in the day. Have to stay on a very restricted diet, which will be more than just soup (without cheating!), as I was eating too many cheating foods that got me in trouble.

I plan to do the three day fast every month.

Last edited:

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I held out until 1p. Had a piece of toast and an egg, 1/2 an avocado and 6 cherry tomatoes. Then I had "dessert." Some greek yogurt with chia seeds. I was hungry after working outside all morning! Already looking forward to dinner. :hide
Sounds like a great start to me! That was a long morning fast

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I held out until 1p. Had a piece of toast and an egg, 1/2 an avocado and 6 cherry tomatoes. Then I had "dessert." Some greek yogurt with chia seeds. I was hungry after working outside all morning! Already looking forward to dinner. :hide
You're making healthy choices, IMO. I'm a pretty big fan of listening to your body cues. Sometimes that makes it hard to fast, but I believe that I probably shouldn't be fasting then. I'm okay with waiting until my physiologic stars align before fasting. Ignoring body signals gets people dead.

I was hungry 2 hours after my lunch. I had milk. Confession: it's chocolate milk. It's a problem for me. I solved the problem by drinking it all. :gig So it's going to be a 20:4 instead of a 23:1 and I'm completely okay with that! It's still better than yesterday, and last month. I wish I could be the >10 day fast once a year type, but I'm not. I have to be in the consistent baby step group. The consistency part is hard!

Latest posts