Favorite Homemade Cookies

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We like fudge here as well. And a cookie we call crinkle cookies, you use a cake mix, oil and eggs and roll in powder sugar before you bake.
I have never made fudge, DH loves brownies,
My grandma Cookie use to make pecan divinity, fudge, peanut brittle, snickerdoodle, iced sugar cookies, ginger bread cookies, fruit cake,
Capture1.JPG
she would put out ribbon candy & this plastic tree with spiced sugar gum drops stuck to it ,
Eeee Vermont Counter Store has one!!!
Capture.JPG
https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/christmas-gumdrop-tree-set/product/H5041

She really put out the mother load. She always had a christmas village with a glass mirror for a pond, she really loved Christmas. She had those little red and white caroler candles, santa mugs,

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sigh... my family didn't do much. We put up a tree when I was small. I remember when I was 14, I found out my parents weren't going to get a tree anymore. I saved up my allowance and got a friend's mom to take me downtown and I bought a small tree. Took it home and decorated it while the parents were at a party. After that, the price went up on trees and I couldn't afford it anymore, so we didn't have anything in the way of holiday decorating anymore. She wasn't much on baking cookies or anything either. So all our current "traditions" are ones I started myself when I grew up.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember making those as a child; haven't thought about them for years. Thanks @Hinotori for the reminder! Now I have to figure out how to make something similar without the wheat flour
Gluten free sista over here. I just use a 1to1 blend or rice and almond flour mix. 2-1 if I remember. The way I bake is I think about what the original should be at a molecular lever and figure out how to match that with safe ingredients. I watched some Alton Brown lol. Like pizza has the gluten very activated (gluten is a stringy protein) mozzarella has a similar stringy protein texture. I add melted mozzarella to my dough and it works. To me it’s about replacing what should be there.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I really think about any basic cake recipe I normally use can be altered to become cookies just by increasing the butter and decrease the milk or water. Not sure if I exactly have a favorite because really cookies make me think about crushing them to make whiskey balls.
Thank you! I’ve had people tell me to use a cake recipe but it never made sense, didn’t know to add butter and decrease liquid. You learn something everyday.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly I am partial to old school types of cookies though so I lean more to a cookie that has brown sugar rather than white and I like oatmeal but it’s not a must. I think the best one I ever had was with dates and nuts. It of course had brown sugar and vanilla extract with flour and baking soda and a few eggs. It was a borrowed recipe I got from one of my patients who had gone to her daughters house to bake for an outing. My patient had once run her own catering business and she loved my daughter (who worked with me at the time) and me so she would spoil us. I could probably recreate it just by shooting from the hip.