Feeding Animals When Feed is Not Available

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think this is a thread we really need to work on and compile. Most of us probably cannot stock enough feed for our animals, either because of lack of finances or space. So I think it is really important we figure this system out now before we can't buy feed for whatever reason.

I have Chickens, Turkeys, Rabbits, and Ducks. Soon to have Guineas, and Geese. How could one feed these animals when we must have them to live ourselves?

All of the poultry free range, and I am rearranging the chicken flock, because my Buff rooster is a horrible free ranger. I am pretty sure the Muscovies, Turks, and Geese can live primarily off forage. But what about in the winter, when food is scarce for us as well.

What do you folks suggest?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Find a way to increase your storage capacity. Decide how much of the flock you could downsize to maintain your minimal levels of critters.

Plan for the worst case scenario.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Find a way to increase your storage capacity. Decide how much of the flock you could downsize to maintain your minimal levels of critters.

I'd love to store food for them and the cats and dog. But it is expensive.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
FarmerJamie said:

I'd love to store food for them and the cats and dog. But it is expensive.
Dogs and cats, you could can food for them from the pork and beef you are getting. :)

There aren't really any options than to stock up for the fowl if they will not have foraging options during winter/severe weather. If that means finding a way to buy an extra bag of feed every feed store run or stock up on your grains/hay whatever. I remember using two year old corn from my grandfather's farm - the rats hit it hard, but he didn't have to buy corn.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any silver bullet for what I think you are asking...you have to find a way to stock up now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Grow worms and grains in a greenhouse and keep only enough stock to live off that feed. You can do it and stockpile it in the summer for overwintering.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know someone here was collecting grass clippings as hay for winter for their critters, but I don't know if that would work for poultry. It might be possible to do wild harvests for the poultry, but I don't know if you could keep it healthy enough... If you can get cheap wheat (I think that's the highest protein grain that is typically used for feed, not counting soy), then stock up on some of that to help increase protein (it's cheaper than commercial feeds). You could try raising your own bugs as well, which is actually quite neat. Mealworms (not too many per day though), earthworms, waxworms, silkworms, etc. If you wanted to, you could even raise fruitflies (CRAZY productive) and mix them in with a mash. When I raised FF's before, with one culture, I had enough to sell to other people who raised fish, feed all of my fish, feed the button quail (as treats), start new cultures AND I still had a bunch that I had to freeze. Thousands of little flies, and all you really need is a container (I have a gross of culture containers, which makes it easy for me), some potato flakes, yeast and a preservative. Now, I used to suppliment them with spirulina, baby cereal and fish food flakes, but you don't have to. You could also use vinegar for the preservative. Oh, you need some excelsoir as well, or you could probably easily get away with using hay, so the flies have something to live on, because they'll die if they have to stay on the media.

ETA: Also agree with everyone else about paring down the livestock for winter. Keep the very best of the best and eat the rest.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Oh yeah I agree about culling down the flocks. I'd only be able to winter a dozen chickens, a turkey and duck trio, and a goose pair.

FJ, I could do that if it freezer burnt. But I cringe at using our meat for them :lol: Unless it is scraps of course.

WBF, if we get a greenhouse this fall that could be a possibility.

I still need to give this some thought :/

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Oh yeah I agree about culling down the flocks. I'd only be able to winter a dozen chickens, a turkey and duck trio, and a goose pair.

FJ, I could do that if it freezer burnt. But I cringe at using our meat for them :lol: Unless it is scraps of course.

WBF, if we get a greenhouse this fall that could be a possibility.

I still need to give this some thought :/
There are plenty of trimmings from a side of beef - when we do beef, I freeze a bunch of the throw-away stuff for the flock.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We didn't get these trimmings :hu I must request them! Thanks Jamie!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
We didn't get these trimmings :hu I must request them! Thanks Jamie!
Some folks would chastise me for not rending the fat for lard, but it's the perfect protein boost in the middle of winter.

Something else I just thought of - I get spent grain from my beer making buddies. If there are any microbreweries anywhere close to you, you could ask for the leftovers of the process (otherwise they through it into the trash)