feeding coturnix quail naturally/self sufficiently?

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am hoping to be as self sufficient as possible. i am looking into coturnix quail for a bit and they seem to fit my needs. i was wondering what i might be able to grow or harvest to feed them myself. i understand they need lots of protien,etc so i am not expecting to be able to feed them completely without a bought ration. but every little bit helps.

corn- can they eat it? i'm thinkin yes because i am readin that people start or grow them completely on chicken/turkey starter/mash. what would be best for them, indian corn that will be cracked or sweet corn cut from the cob and dried? (dried so it will store a bit so i could have some in the winter though i could feed it on the cob for them to peck at i suppose in the summer). and i say indian corn because that is what i have seed to grow.

sunflower seed- i have alot of seed saved from last years garden and i want to try planting some black seeds from the birdseed bags i buy (i feed them to the rabbits) and see how they grow. the seed i have saved up isnt black. its black/grey/white striped seeds. not sure of the name of the packet it was from. i would also crack these to feed them.

what other foods can they have? any that are harmful or poisonous? other then avocado. which is the onlyt hing i have read anywhere that is poisonous to quail...

any garden plants or wild plants that i could harvest?

thanks! :)

**and yes i have asked this on byc and byh as well

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
general rule of thumb is if its safe for chickens and turkeys its safe for cot's...
cracked corn, wheat, oats, millet (milet is great) quinoa, and bugs, (might think about raising your own mealworms?) if not you ca supliment with egg (inc crusshed eggshell) to help up the protein.