Feeding your dog raw food

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, here is what I feed my poodle, 30 lbs of muscle (he's an oversized mini!) This diet literally saved his life:

Five days a week: Two chicken wings for supper, brought to body temperature in a bowl in the sink with warm water running over them, also wash them first if commercially raised.

Wed and Sat: Veggie day. He gets a big handful of collards and a carrot, puree'd in the Vitamix with a bit of water and a handful of peanuts or a small spoonful of peanut butter for flavor. Raw veggies must be thoroughly puree'd for dogs. I have cooked brown rice in the freezer in little servings that I add, too. It is cooked in homemade broth, which I feel is very important for the digestion. I can also just give him this rice if he has any digestive upset, which is very rare. It is handy to have the rice and broth available quickly.

When I travel, I don't have access to a good enough blender or food processor, so I cook his veggies. He will eat a wider variety cooked, so I base this meal on carrots and add something green....brocolli, green beans, leafy greens, etc. He doesn't need peanuts to flavor this, he will eat it up with a dab of real butter.

Sometimes I cook (would do raw, but he won't eat raw eggs...or liver) him an egg in the morning after a veggie meal, if he seems too hungry. Never give the dog veggies after he smells your pizza, too cruel! Feed him before you prepare your food, and if he doesn't eat it, leave it for 24 hours. It will not spoil, and the enzymes will make it more attractive to him. Remember, dogs like to bury bones....the enzymes in raw stuff make it more digestible for them.

Raw bones won't splinter. Chicken wings are safest, as they are not weight-bearing and have very little meat. Cats need lots of meat to be healthy, dogs do much better on a "poorer" diet of bones, tendons, cartilage, etc and just a little muscle meat. Don't feed cheap leg quarters to dogs, or steak or ground meat as it is far too rich. An occasional meal of hearts and gizzards is healthful, but can be gassy. We call them "chicken faarts!" He sleeps under the covers! :th

If you live near a chicken processing plant, you may be able to get the ribs from when they bone the breast....for free! Great for big dogs or a lot of dogs.

A larger dog, who might swallow peices whole, should have the bones broken a bit for safety, especially if you are introducing raw to an older dog. Just place the washed wings on a cutting board and give them a few whacks with the back of a cleaver to break the bones.

Start a small dog with just the wing tips.

Also use meaty bones for chewing, just make sure there are no smallish peices or a marrow bone cut to a size that the dog can get his lower jaw through the hole once he cleans out the marrow. Learned this one the hard way.....

Lamb shanks can be cheap and work well. Beef vertebrae can be good.....just don't step on one in your bare feet in the dark. Learned this one the hard way, too.... :ep Rabbit and venison would be great, too, if you have access to it.

That's all I can think of for now. I go by Dr. Ian Billingshurst (sp? too lazy to get up and go look!) books. Lots of info online, too, not all of it the best, though. Use your judgement.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Raw chicken backs are good for dogs too according to my vet. They tend to be less expensive too and sometimes you can find them super cheap.
Be sure to mention to the vet that you are feeding raw chicken bones to your dog. Raw chicken bones look the same as cooked ones on x-rays.
I make food for our dog all the time and she helps herself to goodies from the vegetable garden. She loves to dig up carrots, leaves them for a week or so and then eats the nasty looking thing. She wont eat the pretty orange baby carrots we sometimes buy at the store. :p. Our dogs also help themselves to aparagus tips, tomatoes, corn and walnuts as far as I've seen. Our prior dog as well as our current one, will crack a walnut and carefully get out the meat and eat it. We recently discovered that she will eat just about anything, if we add tomato sauce of some sort on it. This morning she got cooked leftover rice with leftover barbeque sauce (home canned and loaded with vegies from the garden and bits of meat). She didn't leave a crumb for the chickens. :lol:
I usually use left overs to make a "stew" for her, put it in jars and freeze it. Saves us a bundle and I know that my dog is eating food that is safe and healthy. Since we eat healthy, I don't have any qualms using our left overs for the start of a "stew" for her. I don't neccessarily cook everything that goes in her "stew". I add fresh greens, rolled oats and flax seeds most of the time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. Gunnar gets scraps from our plates daily, but only what won't pack on the pounds on his little body, like veggies. He has recently discovered raw milk, and goat yogurt and cheese. I have to watch myself, because he is TOO cute, and it is easy to give in to those eyebrows! And his "good sit!"

Just be aware that your vet got an hour of nutrition in vet school, and it was taught by a representative from one of the pet food giants. A little agendized, wouldn't you say? So he/she may react strongly and negatively to your raw diet. I've been yelled at by vet techs, too. Yeesh. I ask them how many coyotes they see dead on the road from choking on a rabbit bone. Or ask them why do people predator-proof their chicken coops....why not let the predator get one chicken, and the bones will kill the predator, problem solved?

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm glad you mentioned about a too-rich diet. My mini poodle began to have such a difficult time -- terrible itching from food allergies, that I began feeding him a raw diet, but it was too rich and sent him into a terrible digestive sickness. He's now on a partial prescription diet, supplemented by venison and veggies.

There are still vets who insist anything but commercial food is bad for dogs! Just read "Food Pets Die For" by Ann Martin.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Freemotion is correct. Your vet is getting a nice chunk of change for those overpriced prescription foods and they are mostly CORN! :th

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you go to the chicken plant and get their "ribs" you will have to usually supplement with more meat. Around here what you are getting is the chicken fram with almost no meat so it's mostly bone, I use them still but I make sure to feed a meatier meal for the next meal.

I started out feeding Billinghurst's method. After reading other methods I have taken that knowledge and gone my own way over the last 9 yrs. Last year I raised my first raw litter from my own girl. I've raised other litters on raw but they were fosters for rescues so I never had complete say in their care.

My guys pretty much eat whole (fur/feathers and all) where possible. Till we moved here I use to raise rabbits for them, and seeing as our township has changed that by-law from 2 to 4 rabbits allowed, I think this spring DH will be putting the rabbit hutch back up on it's legs and into the dog run (safety from strays and wild animals). We need to move so I can raise anything else though.

To see how I feed you can see the basics on my website under nutrition: http://www.breconbordercollies.freeservers.com

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Home Maker said:
I'm glad you mentioned about a too-rich diet. My mini poodle began to have such a difficult time -- terrible itching from food allergies, that I began feeding him a raw diet, but it was too rich and sent him into a terrible digestive sickness. He's now on a partial prescription diet, supplemented by venison and veggies.

There are still vets who insist anything but commercial food is bad for dogs! Just read "Food Pets Die For" by Ann Martin.
Ann's book is good and I give it out to everyone who is open minded to question their feeding program. You can't help a closed mind learn. :)

Even after 9+ years I'm still learning and adding/subtracting things from the Crew's diet. Like for me veggies have taken a back seat, I feed more red meat (venison, buffao, lamb/mutton) than chicken, I also feed more turkey and rabbit. I get an organ mixture with scraps in it from the processors so I use that for the organ meals as well as I make ALOT of treats so they get some of them as part of their daily diet. Fish is never on the menu as the dogs all hate it, love to roll on it but not eat it. :) So I do supplement for that - I even take them at times..
The dogs are always excited to see grocery bags come in and have to check them out as when I got to the processors' I use grocery bags at times to bring stuff home and I do it all as one big trip on grocery shopping day..lol.

If you don't mind me asking Homemaker, what did you feed your boy when you switched him over?

I'm one of a handful of breeders for my breed that are "out of the closet" so to speak about how I raise and feed my dogs.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread. Kim--I thought I had recognized you from another forum, (poultryswap?) regarding feeding raw diets to your dogs. This is something that I am looking into also. I breed meat rabbits, raise meat chickens, and soon will be getting into quail. We also hunt. I figured, esp with the rabbits, we would have enough for the the dogs to eat. I have started doing research, but I do find the info a bit vague and therefore daunting.

I will look for the book you guys suggested. Hopefully by fall my pooches will be eating raw. so, when you prepare and animal for feeding to the dogs--you gut it and just feed them fur feather and all? You DO gut it, right?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great info, breconbcs! Yes, more info, please, on feeding "whole" animals. One night we had dinner guests, and the poodle was in the backyard, chewing on something. We were guessing that it was a glove. Then he turned his head in that classic posture of breaking bones and swallowing....and we all realized he was eating a baby rabbit! Must've found a nest, because we saw him go into the bushes three times and come out with another.

He didn't gut it, clean it, discard the entrails or fur. :sick

But as I apologized to my guests, I was secretly pleased with him!

How many "pinkies" will a pair of rabbits produce a year, and is it worthwhile keeping them to feed one dog? How do you deal with having someone come in and care for your animals if you have to go away?

I often inspect the coyote poo on our walks to see what they are eating this week. Can't always tell, but it has been rabbit, squirrel, deer carcass (found the spines with saw-marks from the hunter), apples, and horse poo. Most often, it is impossible to tell, as it is so thoroughly digested.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score

A rabbit can produce up to 1000% of her body weight in meat a year. My does are about 8lbs. I will breed my rabbits, give them two months before rebreeding. Each litter will be around 8 rabbits. I have three does and one buck.

eta--not sure about getting other to feed my animal--haven't experienced that yet.