Fencing for Goats

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What kind of fencing do you recommend for goats, and how high?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
On the cheap, several strands of electric. How high depends on the type of goats.

I use four foot horse fencing (woven wire with 2" x 4" openings) with an electric strand above it, which keeps the coyote population out. We have deep snow at times here. I used this fencing with the thought of having a foal here, which ended up not happening. If I just had goats, I would probably have done the electric fencing, and made it so I could disconnect the lower strands as the snow got deep, and reconnect them as it melts, so it wouldn't ground and be ineffective.

Keeping predators out is as important as keeping goats in!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
electric fencing never kept my goats in...they would go right thru it and I had a high powered fence. I don't know...never worked for me for goats.

Get small wire square. Something they can't get their heads thru. 4 ft with barbed wire on top works best for me. Most of my fencing is that.

Keeps your animals in and others out.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
electric fencing never kept my goats in...they would go right thru it and I had a high powered fence. I don't know...never worked for me for goats.
Same here. 5 strand electric, 5' high and the goats could care less. They just step right through and laugh at us. We picked up 11 rolls of 4' tall woven wire at an auction this summer and we're going to see if that works.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL UncleJoe

your goats must be kin to my goats---cause mine laughed at me too! lol

your woven wire fence will do the trick! Then you can stand on one side and laugh back at them....HA HA

Reason I put barbed wire on top, they will stand on the fence and reach over onto trees and such and push that top part of the fence over. My big Boer buck would put his feet on a high part of the fence, reach over and his weight would just bend the fence, and yup--he walked right over it. I found him out in the front yard many times when I would come home..lol---so 2 strands of tight barbed wire on the top over the wire fence and it stopped that problem.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks. My neighbor has goats. I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet. He has a half acre pasture with pretty standard fencing around it but on the side of the pasture where the fencing comes along the drive way and where the goats come up to the people and where they get fed he's got a huge curved inward fence with bobbed wire...just on this side of the pasture though. I couldn't figure that out. Are the goats to stupid to walk around to the standard fencing and jump out? I never see his goats loose, but of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The "curve" in the fence is not them standing on it-----it is them running themselves along the sides to scratch their bodies. All my fencing between posts almost all have the curve.

They are like cats curving and scratching their bodies along your leg.

They are scratching their fur along the fence. Every goat farmer will have this curve and so will you so pull your fencing very very tight. Very important!

kenandheidicorcran

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have 5 goats and a 5 strand wire spaced at 6,12,18,24,32,and 42 inches on a 100 mile 2 joule fence charger on 3 acres. The key is a good grounding system. We have had our 2 younger goats get out only to find a short in our system. Once we fixed that, and they touched it again, voila! No more goats getting out.