Fermenting wheat for pigs

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a source for all the wheat I want. Dad said I need to ferment the wheat first before I feed it to the pigs. How exactly do I go about this? Three days ago I put half of a coffee can of wheat in a 3 gallon bucket and filled it up with water. Do I just soak the wheat in water until it bubbles? Then do I feed the whole bucket to the pigs water and all? Or did I add too much water if I still have lots of water left?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't know if fermenting is the same as soaking and sprouting, but see your other post for how i soak and sprout grains.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My dad and his dad fermented oats (my grandfather was a farmer and grew oats) for the pigs by filling a pail with oats and filling it with water and leaving it until it got good and bubbly. Then dump the whole thing into their trough or tub. They need other foods, too, though. The young ones won't be able to handle the grains as much if they are not hulled, but will later.

I fed corn this way, as that is what I could get for a reasonable price here last summer. They also loved acorns fermented in the same way. They loved acorns fermented 10 days or more.

How long it takes to ferment depends on the weather. Warmer weather is great for getting it good and stinky. It will smell sour and maybe even sorta cheesy, which they love.

daisycullen2003

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hi,

wanted to jump in on this topic and find out what others feed their pigs. is it possible to feed without grains? i am trying to do this as simply and healthfully as possible, and grain is expensive and i can't raise it myself. my 2 pigs are on about 1/2 acre of pasture/woods. i have tried to feed them hay, but they don't seem to eat it. i have a source for dairy and am wondering if dairy and pasture and later in the summer vegetables and fruits would be sufficient?

i have been fermenting oats and barley for them but they seem to pass right through them but maybe that's because as one poster mentioned young pigs can't digest unhulled grains.

thanks!
lisa

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We fed ours on fermented corn, but more as a supplement. Most of their growing was done on what they rooted in the pasture, scraps, and stuff we gleaned. Mostly pumpkins, tomatoes, and acorns, a bit of bread, and lots and lots of ears of corn, whole, from the field and FREE. :) You can get details on what I fed on my pig journal from last year. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4831