Finally a chick nursery

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been racking my brain and scouring around for materials to make a suitable brooder, but couldn't settle on anything I came up with and I have about a week left. Finally I got an idea....to just use our nest box (about 2 1/2 x 3 x 5), block the doorway so chicks or momma can't get out & the meanies can't get in, and put some kinda cover over it that lets in atleast some light from outside. The box already has a lid that lifts & a hook latch to keep it open if needed but that would make it too dark inside if kept closed all the time. I still need to mow the yard for grass clippings/nesting material and a few other minor things. It's not perfect, but it will work. I'm hoping to get Momma & eggs moved in the next couple of days so she can get adjusted before any babies show up. Take a look see.......

edited to fix tech issues :/

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you have a great idea. Just remember that new little chickies do not know what is the correct way to build a brooder and they don't know how much light is correct. They will adapt to whatever you do just fine.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now that I have this all set up, DH won't let me move Momma & the eggs. He agrees with the neighbor up the road that we don't mess with em until after any hatch. I'm worried they'll get thru any holes in the fence to the neighbors yards or 'the meanies' will get them. :barnie

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I think so too and think it would be a whole lot easier to move them NOW. It's gonna be really interesting trying to catch Momma hen & any chicks before they all escape somewhere. :lol:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko.....the problem here is that she made her nest on the other side of the yard under several boards that were propped up against the garage. I can barely reach in there as it is but it's in such a way that she & any chicks could easily escape. She had already laid 7 or 8 eggs before we even found her nest. Then I left it alone to see if she would go broody. By the time she had laid 10 eggs....she decided to sit them. :/