Finally, a chicken feeder for me!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think I finally hit on a chicken feeder for my lifestyle. I've tried different kinds and found them wanting but I had a new idea I want to try.

I have an old hog trough that was here when I came. We have had camp fires in it and once used it for a BBQ! Mostly it just sits out there. Its relatively light weight but large enough and shallow enough for the new purpose for which I want to use it.

I think I will cover it tightly with a piece of fencing, creating a cap that will allow the introduction of heads but not feet into the feeder. Then I can pour the feed directly in the feeder, it will hold a good bit and will allow plenty of access for my increasing flock. They might perch on the sides and the occasional birdy gift may fall into the feed, but not much, I don't think. With that wire wrapped around the sides and under the trough, it may feel too weird for them to like perching there.

Anyway, its an idea for recycling this big old trough and they cannot tip it over in any way. My other 3 gal feeders I made with buckets are okay but the feed doesn't flow easily out of the holes and there is too much waste. This trough design will not allow much flicking, or any scratching, of the feed out of the container. I'll try and let you all know how it goes.

Just trying to find new and better ways to provide alot of feed at a time, or a little, depending on the circumstances, without it being wasted or inaccessible. Also trying to find a place for that eyesore of a hog trough! :lol: Wonder if a similar design using a plastic barrel cut in half would work for folks with old plastic barrels to get rid of... hmmmmm...

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sounds good! Post a photo when you're finished!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The trough was too deep but I found something similar and better....my old metal chicken feeder! YOu know the ones...just a small metal trough! I wrapped it in 3 in. x 2 in. welded wire and it works like a dream! Its about 4 ft. longx 8 in. wide x 6 in. deep. Absolutely NO feed wasted since using this feeder. YAY! :weee Easy to fill, and if filled completely, lasts up to 4 days for my flock of 30 free ranged hens and roos.

Now to install my nipple waterer over the feeder, so the drips will go in the feeder and mix with the mash, so to eliminate any left over dust in the bottom of the feeder. The birds will eat it right up!

Muuuaahaahahahaha....my plan to phase myself out is nearly complete!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Pics! Please? so those of us who aren't that mechanical can have a visual aid? LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
:D
Won't you have a bunch of tipsy chickens when the mash ferments? :cool:
You kiddin'? That mash won't stay round long enough to ferment! Big hogs! :p I'll have to get a pic taken and all....I'll do that when I get the waterer up.

Not really ashamed of my old henhouse and such, but I will warn you that my setup doesn't remotely resemble most of the sweet, impeccable coops and runs like on BYC. These buildings and equipment are at least 50-60 years old, so everything looks ancient and decrepit......but I love the feel of the old buildings and how "ma and pa kettle" it all looks! :D I like the fact that generations of chickens have lived and loved in these buildings and I am carrying it all onward! :) So...be prepared to see how the "other half" of the chickens live...you know, the country cousins to the city chickens... ;)