Finally a gobble and a strut!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I got this pair of Ridley strain bronze turkeys at the Donnelly semi-dispersal auction last fall. The male has always looked really really immature, and while at first I just chalked it up to youth I have started to get quite worried lately as I would *like* to get some eggs to try to hatch from him and his mate. I have seen exactly ZERO adult male turkey behavior from him, and all the various stuff on his head still looks rather underdeveloped.

But finally today he seems to have found his 'purpose in life' (a la Steve Martin movie The Jerk, for anyone who remembers it) -- quite suddenly, he is strutting up a STORM, gobbling repeatedly, snood hanging waaay down, doing that "thump-thump-thump' noise they mysteriously make. Coco his mate seems to be clueing in somewhat too -- although she has not laid any eggs yet AFAIK, she has been watching Gerald with great interest today, and I *think* she is doing a mild version of squatting for him.

So maybe there is some hope for homeborn poults this year.

Everyone think "horny" thoughts for Gerald and Coco, please! LOL

Pat

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
brown chicken, brown cow...... :thumbsup
Wipeing coffee from the keyboard here.... :yuckyuck
My turkey hens are laying now...FINALLY. I checked them for fertility today, and got the bullseye. Warming up the bators...and in they go next week!
I cant waite to see what I get from my one pen...Hershey and Sage. Hershey is a chocolate hen...Sage is a Bronze tom. I think they will be nice sized birds, perfect for roasting!
The other pen has a blue slate hen (Shadow) ...and a Royal palm tom(Adam). Last year they threw black spanish! :D THOSE sold out quick!
Good luck with yout Turkeys! I hope they lay MANY eggs for you!
Oh, are you planning to let your hen set them? I tried that alst year...nope, wont do THAT again. My hen turned into a rageing bull once her poults hatched. I had a heck of a time getting them out to sell them!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
But finally today he seems to have found his 'purpose in life' (a la Steve Martin movie The Jerk, for anyone who remembers it)
Pat
He found his "special purpose"! (Yep, I remember that movie.)
Good luck!

Latest posts