Financial Management Teachings - Why Not Taught In School?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the main thing that kids don't learn that they really NEED to is how to live within their means. A big reason for that is because so many parents today can't stand the thought of seeing their kids do without anything.

I'm not passing judgment on any parents who do that. I'm just saying that if you DO, you're setting your kid up for financial struggles later on in life, big time. Unless, like so many parents these days, you are still supporting your kids into their 20's, 30's & beyond.

We mostly did without when I was growing up. I didn't like it, but think it made me more ... umm... industrious--determined--resourceful. So, it doesn't bother me to let my kids do without (especially junk they don't need.) My sister on the other hand, had the same upbringing I did. All she remembers is the misery and shame of not having anything. She suffers to buy her kids mountains of material things. As a result of that they don't learn about waiting, saving up for something, or making do with something else.

These are not lessons that are going to serve them very well into adulthood!

That's just my opinion based on my experience. I hope not to offend anyone.

Schools can teach budgeting, planning and financial management. But the only way to learn delayed gratification, I think, is by practicing it.

Cassandra

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Schools can teach budgeting, planning and financial management. But the only way to learn delayed gratification, I think, is by practicing it.
Interesting observation. I have to agree.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I think the main thing that kids don't learn that they really NEED to is how to live within their means. A big reason for that is because so many parents today can't stand the thought of seeing their kids do without anything.<snip> These are not lessons that are going to serve them very well into adulthood!
This is SOOOOOOOOOO true and well said.

Don't know what to actually do about it, but boy is that exactly right, Cassandra.

Pat

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If anyone out there is going to major in eduation, maybe this is a good double major/area of focus. It sounds like it might be the wave of the future??