Firearms for the Homestead

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Lately, we have analyzing and looking at our firearms and I am right now trying to figure out what we may be missing to add to it. I am not going to list or say what we have, I just want your suggestions on the matter. I am looking for guns good for hunting, personal defense, and predatorial defense. What calibers/types would ya'll suggest?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We only keep two.....a 16 gauge shotgun with slugs and shot rounds and a .22 rifle. Both are used as tools for varmints, hunting or protection, if need be. No need to complicate things. Now, if we lived where bears were more prevalent we might pack something a little heavy duty in addition to the two usual homesteader's guns.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wont list what we have either, but i do have to say that stocking up for ammo is hard when you have 5+ different types of guns. it would be much easyer if we only had to buy 3-4 typs of ammo.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My choice would be a shotgun,rifle,and handgun.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I'd say 30-06, .22 rifle, bow and a shotgun. Maybe even an air rifle. 30-06 will take down just about anything, .22 rifle is dirt cheap ammo and can be used for vermin, shotgun for small game/protection, air rifle would be neat for vermin and discreet hunting, bow for discreet hunting, and pistol is personal taste. I don't have one, not my taste. I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol. They say that a shotgun is the best for home protection. If someone breaks into your house, a rifle projectile will go through walls, while shotguns are less likely to do so. Certainly don't want to have a "peep hole" all the way through your house, and absolutely don't want to accidentally kill a family member in another room.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Shotguns are impressive home protection...even if you are a poor shot, you are gonna hit somethin' with a shotgun. Not much room for error at close range.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the K.I.S.S. method would work best - a 12 gauge, a 10-22 and a pistol. Hubster, on the other hand, thinks variety is the spice of life :rolleyes: Since we can't agree, we STILL haven't decided. :hu

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Shotguns are impressive home protection...even if you are a poor shot, you are gonna hit somethin' with a shotgun. Not much room for error at close range.
And nothin' says "freeze" like that good ol double click!

I agree with a .22 and a good shotgun, those are about the minimum I'd go with. A heavier rifle if you're hunting deer or I guess hogs *never hunted hogs so I really don't know* and other things larger than varmit sized.

Now, for more personal defense and just plain fun, the whole world of handguns opens up.................

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
boy toys!!!!:lol: that is what i call them.

i have 2 of my own guns, a 22 that belonged to my great grandfather, and a 410 breakover. hubby on the other hand likes them all!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i wont list what we have either, but i do have to say that stocking up for ammo is hard when you have 5+ different types of guns. it would be much easyer if we only had to buy 3-4 typs of ammo.
I agree, we are learning this.

How much ammunition for each would you guesstimate? I have a good ball park figure but want some more information.