First 4h meeting!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I took ds to his first 4h meeting last night & boy were we overwhelmed with info! Did find out though that there have been no other porcelain d'Uccles shown but lots of millie de' fluer's so he will have a better chance of winning best of class with his being different! Which is a really good thing! He was taken through all the motions of how to show his bird & after working with them it was determined the cock is his best one to show as he held himself up so proudly & even looked like he has his nose up in the air a few times! They called him a snob! LOL Next month he will learn how to bathe his birds. I was taking notes like crazy! You know I was thinking if he did well then he might have a market to sell some of the babies, but if the porcelains are not common & he sells them then we may lose our edge, hummmmm, delimia, delimia we are in as the hen is already sitting on 4 eggs! :barnie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is right....if you sell the uncommon birds then the area will have them...hmm...but a little business might be better than just having a first prize win....hmm...but then again....we all like to be uncommon.....hmmm....LOL-LOL

You can't win here..HA HA HA

I am glad he got to be proud over his birds!!!! That is cool and will make him more interested in learning about them. You sure can't go wrong there.

Is there alot of kids in this 4h? I have to check into it for Nicole but I want her a little older....so I have time.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well the fair is in March & they come from all over the county to compete in the different livestock projects, some kids have more than 1 animal they show in different groups. We now have lambs, swine, beef, veal, market goat, poultry, cavie, hares & somthing else but I can't remember what it is. Not to mention they do breeding classes also. Along with photography, baking, cake decorating, rockets, dogs, horses, sewing, knitting, crocheting, gardening! Drawing, painting, sketching, the list goes on!!
Richard has 6 kids in his poultry club this yr, some have more kids. They have to be 9 yrs old to exhibit animals & participate in some of the other clubs, but there is a clover club in some areas for the younger kids to do things too. Check with your local cooperative extension office to find out the ages for it & if it is available in your area.
I meant the cock was acting proud & putting his nose in the air, like he was born to be a showman!
We have over 100 swine each yr competeing in the fair. There are 100's of kids who participate between 4h & FFA. But they get a lot out of it(learning responsibility for one) & most of the kids who sell their livestock use the money for college, a few use it to help their families out. I know of one family who had 2 dd's & 1 ds involved & the money went to support the family mainly. Sometimes they get big $$ for their animals, one kid got over $22/lb for his swine the fair after his father passed away, which was over $5k for him!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
How fun, you must be so proud!!!
I am this is the first time for him to really compete in a group, he did pee wee showmanship for a few yrs with swine & lambs, but all the kids get a blue ribbon in that. This time he really is competeing on his own.