First Look at the Sylvan Solar Oven

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our Sylvan brand Solar Oven arrived yesterday, and we tested it today. We decided on the Sylvan, over the Global Sun Oven (GSO), simply on the basis of price. Being basically cheapskates, we liked the fact that the Sylvan was $60 dollars less than the GS0.

My first impression is that it is a nearly identical copy of the GSOn. There are a few differences, though. The first thing that I noticed was on the GSO, there are two well made latches to hold the glass closed, the Sylvan has only one and it isn't made as well. It still seems to work OK, with the one. Also, the GSO has a "handle" attached to the glass that makes opening the glass safer, as you don't actually touch the glass. The Sylvan does not, and you actually have to touch the glass to open it, and the glass is HOT. As long as you use an oven mitt or pot holder, it can be done safely.

Bringing it from inside an air conditioned house, it had reached 300 degrees fifteen minutes after being set up. After 1/2 hour it was 325, and it was 350 after an hour (it may have reached 350 sooner, but that was the next time that I checked it). It may have gotten hotter, but I believe the breeze we had reduced the temperature that it reached. There were a lot of fumes coming from the cooker when I first opened it after it had reached temperature. These were from the heat resistant paint curing, but the instructions said it was to be expected and to clean it before using it to cook for the first time. The instructions are adequate, but there were a few typos, like stating that after twenty minutes that the cooker should obtain a temperature of 3000 degrees. That would have been impressive indeed, but I believe that the meant 300.

The only other disappointment was that, although the Sylvan company is listed as being in Oolteway, TN, we found that it was actually manufactured in China. Had we known that it was not produced in the US, like the GSO, we would have opted to spend the extra $60. We will be purchasing at least one more oven in the future, and if it is the same type, it will probably be the GSO. That's just us, and YMMV.

Tomorrow, We'll see how it cooks.

SylvanSolarOven.jpg

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is the box (minus the reflectors, of course) metal or wood? I can't really tell from the photo.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow! that sooooo great. and here i am cursing b/c i really want to bake something (pie what else?) but i dont want to heat up the house. hum....... i cant wait to see your test results. feel free to make a pie so i can see how it works
;-)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Is the box (minus the reflectors, of course) metal or wood? I can't really tell from the photo.
The outside of the box is made from ABS Plastic, the inner box is anodized aluminum. There is insulation between the two box layers. The top "bezel" is made from poplar, and the glass is tempered.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
The outside of the box is made from ABS Plastic, the inner box is anodized aluminum. There is insulation between the two box layers. The top "bezel" is made from poplar, and the glass is tempered.
Hmmm...doesn't sound like something that would be easy to "copy" (for a mechanically-challenged person like me, anyway). ;)

Thanks for the review, please update after you use it...! :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, I had been looking at that one also but I too prefer to buy American made products so I will pay a little more for the Global Sun oven.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
. . . but I too prefer to buy American made products so I will pay a little more . . .
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I wish all real Americans felt like we do.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
wow! that sooooo great. and here i am cursing b/c i really want to bake something (pie what else?) but i dont want to heat up the house. hum....... i cant wait to see your test results. feel free to make a pie so i can see how it works
;-)
I second that. I'd get one if it could bake in MA.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Well today we tried our first meal in this solar oven. Right off of the bat we ran into a problem. It seems that my wife was a little over zealous about returning my friends Global Sun Oven to him, and returned his pots also. I was hoping that he wouldn't notice that we had kept those. :D So... not having an appropriate size dark colored pot, we improvised. We have a slow cooker that has a ceramic insert that happens to be black, so we commandeered it, and to seal everything up, we used a roasting bag. The heavy ceramic container did a great job at keeping the temperature fairly constant when the unexpected clouds started showing up, but it took a lot longer to get the cooker up to temperature. To make a long story even longer, the chicken wasn't ready by the time that I had to leave for several hours, and the tops of the breasts dried out a little while I was away. Other than that, the chicken came out great.

The first picture was taken right before I had to leave, and the second when we were getting ready to eat.

100_2750.jpg

100_2751.jpg

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks pretty tasty to me!
Interesting about the crock. Now that you mentioned it, it does make sense that it would take longer to get to temp. Back when I was experimenting with home brew solar ovens, I used a small, dark metal roasting pan.

Of course, this inspires me to scrounge up the necessary stuff and make another one...a better one this time! As hot as it's been, I could almost get by without the cooker.