First Snake Tanning

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of tanning a small rattlesnake recently, though not a pleasure walking up on it laying blended in the Fall leaves (watch your step folks!)

Used an alum paste tan after salting/stretching it and am extremely happy with the turnout. Even managed to keep the tail on.

View attachment 12577 View attachment 12576 View attachment 12578

Has anyone else had the chance to tan snakeskin?
Wow! That looks so fine... I have tons of ideas for that... The markings are so intricate, I remembered the last time I had one, That made a fine belt... :D:D

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply!
@YourRabbitGirl - We get a fair amount of snakes throughout the year, so this won't be the end of tanning them for me. However, the first of every kind of critter we've tanned will be hung up in our cabin, so this hide will be tacked up. Any future ones however will probably get paired with a buckskin backing to make some bracelets (at least that's what I'd like to make first!)

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply!
@YourRabbitGirl - We get a fair amount of snakes throughout the year, so this won't be the end of tanning them for me. However, the first of every kind of critter we've tanned will be hung up in our cabin, so this hide will be tacked up. Any future ones however will probably get paired with a buckskin backing to make some bracelets (at least that's what I'd like to make first!)
Thats great.. we ran out of snakes here to hunt and would really love to have some so I ca use some for making a good pair of boots... thats gonna be very useful this coming rainy season.

Latest posts