Fishing for Freezer

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tony is big on trout fishing. I have about 6 bags of trout in the freezer and plan on making a few on the grill tomorrow or the next day.

WHO fishes for freezer? Stocks the caught fish as a "almost free" food source?

We do.....catfish and trout are #1
and we have a WILD FUN time stocking that freezer..LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have friends with a cabin on a trout pond. They like to catch it more than they like to eat it, so I get my freezer stocked whenever the hubby decides he needs some quality time with a rod, rell and a bucket of worms :D

I love it smoked and have a way to do it on my gas grill.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't had any good fish or fishing since I moved from Iowa. To my knowledge there is no accessible fishing in this state. There doesn't seem to be any fisheries that restock and I'm sorry but I'm from Iowa where you sit down and CATCH a fish and another fish and another fish. Okay, my rant is over but I would so love to have some good fish when I get my stomach back and end my (who knows how many years) vegetarian state.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
In the Kentucky lakes (Tennessee River) crappie are the good eating fish, being from up north I prefer walleye over anything else.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
xpc said:
In the Kentucky lakes (Tennessee River) crappie are the good eating fish, being from up north I prefer walleye over anything else.
YUP!!! Walleye or fresh Lake Erie Perch!! I won't turn down a plate of fried Crappie either.
Anyone here ever ate any Smelt? Now THAT is good eatin' as well!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm a trout girl. I've said it before, mesquite grilled trout almondine is my favorite way to eat it.

I wish someone would fill my freezer with trout. ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Not only have I eaten smelt, I have caught it. Dad used to drag me out to the pier in the ice, snow and cold to catch those stupid things. Good thing mom made a great beer batter or I wouldn't have put up with it :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dh goes fishing in Lake Erie on his friend 's big, and I mean BIG fishing boat. they do the deep water, and get steelhead, pickerel etc and it goes in the freezer. I cut them up into steaks and we grill throughout the season. Then in winter, he goes icefishing on Lake St. Clair, and gets lotsa perch. All excess goes into the freezer. When we lived up north, we had a greater variety of fish., Brook , rainbow and speckled torut, splake, pickerel, pike etc etc etc.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wish I could get my dh to go ocean fishing more. I guess the cost of getting out there out weighs the cost of the fish.

When we went up to the Klamath river two years ago my son caught a 29 lb salmon. Now that was some awesome fish. I froze 4, 1 gallon zip-locks full. :drool

gina
I love this picture. I show it off whenever possible.

Latest posts