FJ's New Construction Checklist

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So I thought it might be fun to start the "wish list" for the possible new homestead, with an eye towards a simpler lifestyle. Open discussion welcome. Land is the big variable, but there will be space for critters and growing stuff, we have a handle on that.

My focus is the house. Technology being what it is today, where does the complexity and benefits fit in versus simple/basic technology? Free wheeling brainstorming requested! We have pretty much settled on the floor plan posted earlier, with some modifications. That can be part of the discussion.

Budget is not a consideration right now, I would rather get the list of ideas as and then prioritize to the budget

For example, the new variable opaqueness windows are an interesting new option.

Without further ado, the start of the list under consideration.
1. Geothermal heating/cooling
2. Handicap accessible, or at least allowances made for future accessibility without large expense
3. Fireplace...traditional or pellet stove insert?
4. Flooring...wife likes the idea of heated ceramic tiles with a faux wood look.
5. Adding to base plan.....a canning kitchen as an addition.
6. Adding to base plan....basement
7. Mod to base plan, redoing pantry/mud room layout.
8. Solar
9. Built in hook up for stand alone generator
10. Some sort of reinforced room in the basement for storm refuge
.....thoughts?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@baymule @Grandmas Porch thanks for the positive words, this next step is going to be fun. The wife is excited, but similar to GP's comment, we ain't young anymore.

A possibility we are looking at is former Amish homes, since they typically have a canning kitchen in the basement and have coal or wood furnaces already. Some are already wired for electricity, but not connected to the grid. Often times, the outbuildings ARE wired and have solar panels setup. The communities around here vary in adherence to the Old Order ordinances. I think that is why some of the more modernized ones don't necessarily get snapped up by other Amish families.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Here are some things I would want and/or dream about:

1. A butcher block counter for processing meat.
2. A wood kitchen range in addition to "normal" cook stove.
3. Utility sink for washing hard to handle items. For example, my 930 All American pressure canner.
4. Accessibility for laundry room. Currently, my washer is under the steps and its a hassle to bring stuff up from the dryer and even bigger hassle for stuff that is line dried.
5. Sky lights might be something to look at if possible. That would definitely help on electricity usage for common areas.
6. I know this isn't big technology, BUT storm doors would be a must. I have screen doors right now and they do not last.

Here are some other things I would think about:

1. Have you considered water? Do you want to be cut off from the "city water"? Can you access well water or develop a spring? Could you use a cistern to harvest rain water? A safe water supply for a homestead is a necessity, and is key for being off the grid.

2. Will the layout, and location allow for privacy? The key question is "can I pee off the back porch?" That's the privacy I would want. In the same thought process, I think it would be great to have an outdoor shower too. Especially, in the summer when it is hot and you're dirty and sweaty from working outside.

3. I see your plan also has cathedral ceilings. My house does as well. It's a cabin. One problem I have is condensation on the ceiling, and mold. So, I don't have good ventilation and its a pain to get to clean. If you're anticipating mobility issues that might be a consideration. Also, you lose a lot of heat with these type of ceilings.

4. Does the layout and location allow for protection? Do you have good access to evacuate if you had a fire, or an intruder? Is it easily defendable?

This is probably more than you wanted, but these are things I am thinking about as I look to move soon.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FJ, I’ve been through a lot the past 2 years. I came to the conclusion that I was going to do what makes me happy. I bought 25 acres with a double wide manufactured home. I hate mobile homes, just so you know, but I love having the 25 acres. With the exception of my son, my family thinks I’m nuts. Been asking my sister to come see my farm for a year. I give up, she probably won’t ever darken my doorstep. I live on a dirt dead end road in the middle of nowhere. Horrors! My daughter actually told me last weekend that she doesn’t like my place. There’s nothing to do. My sisters house has a covered deck bigger than my double wide, a swimming pool and the worlds best pizza a few miles away. Big house, lots of room.

Oh well, I AM HAPPY HERE.

They even made fun of me because I’m going to Tennessee in October to buy a ram. WTF

Point is, you have given up a lot in the past years. It is your turn now. Not to be selfish, but it’s time for Jamie to have a home, a bit of land, a garden and whatever else he wants and makes him happy. Don’t listen to the naysayers, the dream stealers, or negativity.

The best advice I got when my beloved BJ died, and my world fell apart, came from my son. He said,

Mom, you do you.

So I’m telling you,

Jamie, you do you.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FJ, I’ve been through a lot the past 2 years. I came to the conclusion that I was going to do what makes me happy. I bought 25 acres with a double wide manufactured home. I hate mobile homes, just so you know, but I love having the 25 acres. With the exception of my son, my family thinks I’m nuts. Been asking my sister to come see my farm for a year. I give up, she probably won’t ever darken my doorstep. I live on a dirt dead end road in the middle of nowhere. Horrors! My daughter actually told me last weekend that she doesn’t like my place. There’s nothing to do. My sisters house has a covered deck bigger than my double wide, a swimming pool and the worlds best pizza a few miles away. Big house, lots of room.

They even made fun of me because I’m going to Tennessee in October to buy a ram. WTF

Point is, you have given up a lot in the past years. It is your turn now. Not to be selfish, but it’s time for Jamie to have a home, a bit of land, a garden and whatever else he wants and makes him happy. Don’t listen to the naysayers, the dream stealers, or negativity.

The best advice I got when my beloved BJ died, and my world fell apart, came from my son. He said,

Mom, you do you.:love

So I’m telling you,

Jamie, you do you.

@FarmerJamie

AMEN!!

I too love my property, I love getting everything set so the 80yr old me can still function and do everything. I am getting it all set now, yes it work for my future. My DH is 74 and it is just killing him that he cant to like he was 64. We work as a team and work together, thats what I helped with the sons wood cutting, I have my DH's 6.
I dont care if anyone doesn't like what and how I do anything, as Danna's son said,, I do me.
My DFIL passed at 96yr old, I want our last 20+ years together to be as blessed as out last 41.
We are a team and we do everything together hand in hand for Life

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
my recommendation for if you do end up in a more isolated situation is to avoid having a wood burning fireplace as it is a lot of work to keep up and use and if you are concerned about heating in the winter during a power outage that propane and a fake fireplace or fake stove that can be used for alternative heat is much better. it will keep you from freezing until the power comes back on and then you don't have to deal with anything other than making sure the tank gets filled up once in a while. no wood making, no splitting, stacking, carrying, no ashes or smoke to deal with.

the thing is, i love fire and i really would have loved it had we kept our fireplace as a fireplace for burning wood but the smoke isn't compatible at all with either of us so we had it converted into propane and that has worked well enough. except it was not a very good conversion in terms of heating efficiency so you can be sure to not make our mistake and get a unit that is more efficient in producing heat. and if you want to use it as a cooking surface then make sure it has those features. we just take old cans and set them off to the side and heat things up in those. it's like camping but we can still sleep in our own beds. :)
The wife grew up poor and has fond memories of their wood burning stove. Wood around here is plentiful and relatively cheap. In my former house, we had a fireplace, so I always had about a half cord stacked around. Yes, sometimes just bought a truckload.

A friend works for Generac, so once we figure out the plan, going to engage him for a permanent generator install. My portable is nice, but would rather have something already patched in, so if needed, it's set by throwing a few switches

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

Mom, you do you.

So I’m telling you,

Jamie, you do you.
@baymule I am hearing that a lot from my kids and my wife right now. Thank you for the reminder

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Re-read everything. Real wood stove/fireplace, as in a Grid down situation due to whatever, you can still keep warm. (we don't have either).

If you are remodeling, and redoing exterior walls, try for 6" framing. Else, reinsulate to the highest values.

LVP flooring with the attached insulation. Don't get it with the MDF cus then its not waterproof. We always use the click together stuff. Not the glue stuff.

I was in a wheelchair for 3 months. Never have I been so happy with the ADA requirements at big box stores. At home, wide hallways and pocket doors for bathrooms. Comfort height toilets.

Hand railings on all exterior stairs. There were NONE here, and so far, hubs has added one set to the side steps to the driveway. More to come.

Install electricity fed attic fan. Solar ones are junk in a few years.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my recommendation for if you do end up in a more isolated situation is to avoid having a wood burning fireplace as it is a lot of work to keep up and use and if you are concerned about heating in the winter during a power outage that propane and a fake fireplace or fake stove that can be used for alternative heat is much better. it will keep you from freezing until the power comes back on and then you don't have to deal with anything other than making sure the tank gets filled up once in a while. no wood making, no splitting, stacking, carrying, no ashes or smoke to deal with.

the thing is, i love fire and i really would have loved it had we kept our fireplace as a fireplace for burning wood but the smoke isn't compatible at all with either of us so we had it converted into propane and that has worked well enough. except it was not a very good conversion in terms of heating efficiency so you can be sure to not make our mistake and get a unit that is more efficient in producing heat. and if you want to use it as a cooking surface then make sure it has those features. we just take old cans and set them off to the side and heat things up in those. it's like camping but we can still sleep in our own beds. :)

I'll take wood over the cost of propane,