Floor tiles that store energy

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this but it sounds exciting as a possibility for harnessing energy. The Japanese have installed tiles made of rubber/ceramic that make a vibration each time someone steps on the tile. Enough is generated in a day to light up a sign.
I'm sure many of us have a fair amount of foot traffic in our homes with kids and pets. I'd love to see an application for the individual home owner soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/3721841/Japan-harnesses-energy-from-footsteps.html

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I get enough foot traffic just through my dining room that I could light up my whole house I bet!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I don't know how weight sensitive they will be but if my chicken's run had these they could not only light up their coop but maybe the waterer's heater, too. :cool:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can run my 20 cattle over it...might generate some power.

Hmm...great innovation. I wonder what the downsides are to this technology.....if any. Cause it seems mighty smart to me!

more power to the genius people who invent this stuff!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
and this thread is generating an ad for floor tiles...okay this is getting scary...I am REALLY going to start watching what I say online from now on