Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What flowers do you grow at your place? What flowers would you like to grow? Are there reasons you grow certain ones? Are there certain flowers that just own your heart? Show your flowers!!!!

I'm kind of haphazard in my planting of flowers, so no real plan from year to year. This soil isn't the greatest, so I'm slowly learning what it will grow and what it won't. For the past several decades, Dad wouldn't really let Mom plant any flowers here, so we never got to do this discovery and research before. I also have a very decidedly black thumb, so the fact that ANY thing grows after I touch it is a huge miracle to me. :D

Currently we have two different kinds of clematis, though my fave is the deep purple Jackmanii that I bought for another home back in the 90s but moved here when I moved away from there. It's consistently a great vine, no matter what the set backs, climbs to the top of the porch and blooms beautifully each year. Each year we cut it back to about a foot tall and the process is repeated all over again.

We have a few roses, but tea roses tend to do best of all here. I've planted many and many have died.

Honeysuckle does well here, so we have plenty of that...both in the woods nearby but also at the porch and over the garden gate. I planted a few pink honeysuckles that I got at an end of year sale last fall and they are already blooming and doing well where planted.

I have odds and ends of other perennials but none have done real well except the mint~peonies(blooming for the first time in 11 yrs this year), tickseed, Black eyed Susan, chives, chocolate mint(don't EVER plant this...it takes over and cannot be killed~thank you sister Penny for that particular blight on the landscape), butterfly bush(last year was the first good year of bloom for that thing and this year it seems to be doing even better), lilac(yet to bloom at all and this is the second year).

Every year we usually plant some annuals bought at a local nursery but this year I wanteded to plant from seed~zinnias, marigolds, wild flower mix. I have done this and have had spotty results, both in the flower beds and in the garden. I also have a few annuals in a few pots on the porch and a few near a bench in the garden~mostly petunias and lobelia.

Some of the flowers and vines so far this year...

The Jackmanii...not all the way to the top yet, nor ready to bloom. Usually blooms in June.

100_5603.jpg

Chives...I have 3-4 of these in the garden but this is the first year they've bloomed. Supposed to be able to eat the blossoms too.

100_5592.jpg

White/yellow honeysuckle and the new pink honeysuckle by the garden gate....

100_5594.jpg

Peonies...blooming for the first time in 11 yrs...I hope...

100_5599.jpg

Mom's old tea rose, finally seeming to get the benefit of the BTE method of gardening.

100_5600.jpg

The front flower bed, planted to wildflowers, zinnias and marigolds...had to cover them with a deer netting to insure their growth and survival. Didn't get around to doing that in the other flower beds and the chickens did for them...will have to replant.

100_5601.jpg

The "other clematis", so named because no one can remember its name...doesn't get very tall and blooms earlier than the other one.

100_5602.jpg

This is Mom's porch honeysuckle~usually. This past fall she whacked it all off before I could stop her and now it has to start all over again...will take a few years to get this full and lovely again, I'm sure.

100_4653.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Your flowers are beautiful Beekissed! Thank you for sharing. I have no flowers growing at the moment, no space with the chickens taking over the backyard, but if given the change I would grow sunflowers, especially these that I've grown about 3 years ago:

DSC04340.jpg

Flowers that own my heart has to be this succulent I grew in South Africa. I wish I knew what it's called. You can see the next flower ready to start unfolding itself, one petal at a time, to the left of this one in the pic:

DSC01402.JPG

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow @sumi that is one crazy looking flower!

I am just starting to grow flowers, at my daughter's request. I hope to have pictures this summer/fall! For now I'll enjoy yours!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sumi, those sunflowers are stunning! And that succulent is both beautiful and odd at the same time. I had wanted to plant a sunflower house at the grandgirl's house and still may do so, just haven't had time to do it yet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH has opinions about only planting things we can eat. I'm planting flower this year, maybe someday I can sell cut flowers.

We have established peony, and a couple irises, and lilacs. :love

Adding perennials this year, starting from seed and hoping for the best. My strategy is to plant a huge quantity to offset poor performance. :gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I grow everything, Irises, hostas, gladiolus, roses, stonecrop, asiatic lilies, calla lilies, pretty much anything I can get my hands on that's perennial and will grow well here....I love flowers!!!! No pics...I moved off and left them, but I will be going back to get some of them to transplant when I'm settled.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My best flower is a Bird of Paradise. It sustained some freeze damage this past winter - but it's going to be fine. Last year it probably had at least 15 blooms on it during the season. I don't have a lot of other flowers, some shrubs that bloom - don't even remember what they're called, lol. A hibiscus that comes back every year and a couple of amaryllis's that are gorgeous when they bloom. I'm mostly a veggie planter but I do plant some sunflowers in the garden every year too. Sometimes they do well - sometimes they do nothing at all, lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Our sunflowers are coming up better than the kyorn lol! I hate corn, community garden though, GMO crap, hope the sunflowers over take it ALL mwahahaaaa...:hide

Latest posts