fly repellant ideas please.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I absolutely HATE flies. We are being overrun with flies. They are in the sheeps barn like crazy. We put in all new bedding and removed all the poop, but they are still around and coming in the house with all the warm weather we have had lately. I dont at the moment have the money to order any natural predators like are for sale at valleyvet(nemotodes, I think). So I need some cheap ideas for repelling or killing them until I can order.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately we dont have screen doors. I wish we did. It gets soooo hot in here with the doors shut that we just about have to keep them open nonstop which lets them right on in. I remember someone posting about homemade fly strips- I'll have to look it up.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You can make water traps. Typing one handed here, so you'll have to google it :D
Also, can you make temporary screen doors with tulle and wood strips?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The bag traps work pretty good. I used to use them BC....before chickens. I don't have a fly problem since the hens have pretty much full access to almost all areas. They know where to find the flies and at what time of day. They can also detect a hatch/maggots in a way that is spooky! They will suddenly scratch up a damp spot of earth and I'm convinced there was a recent hatch there.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Someone on BYC discovered that flies HATE vanilla scented tree shaped car air fresheners. She hangs some in her coop. While it doesn't eliminate ALL flies it cuts down on the number. I tired it in my quail pen and it seemed to work :D

I had store bought big barn sticky traps in the duck pen....plus they like to eat them so it wasn't too bad.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Plastic bags filled w/ water hung

DE in bedding

Then fly predators once you can :)