Foamy kefir?

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been making kefir for a while now. It never gets very thick - I wish it would - but it tastes fine, so I try to be content with it.

My last batch sat a little longer - about 36 hours instead of 24. It actually separated - but didn't smell overfermented - still smelt like kefir. When I was straining it into a clean jar the kefir was very foamy. It actually foamed up and over the jar (was going from a quart jar, into a quart jar and the foam was spilling over since it caught me off guard). Is this normal? I know kefir can sometimes get a little bit of fizzy - is the foam a result of that? The foam wasn't like the milk foam I get when I'm milking - it was bubblier - like, oh, I dunno, maybe like when you pour rootbear over ice cream for root beer floats - that kind of bubblines. I haven't tasted it yet, was just a little gun shy since it went longer than the norm AND foamed up.

Anyone get foamy kefir?

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
would you say it is effervescent?

it is my understanding that milk kefir like water kefir will become naturally effervescent when the conditions are right,
my friend leaves her kefir out long so it will be effervescent, I haven't been able to get mine to do it...partially cause I am worried it will be so tart I wont be able to stand it

the kefir I by at the store is often times effervescent, (champaign size bubbles, tiny) and I really like it

I believe your kefir is fine, and to some desirable,
as long as it doesn't smell rancid you are probably good to go, (smell rancid....smell before taste....lol)

hth,

(now if you get sick don't come looking for me, lol)