Food Grade Buckets.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I had some luck a while back getting free buckets from my local doughnut shop. But unfortunately not any lately. I don't want to pay full price and even if you buy on line in bulk they are still prety costly.

My question is......

If I am using Mylar bags to store food does it mater if I buy regular or food grade buckets???

I guess I could find another doughnut shop to ask. :idunno

g

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya, I have been wondering about that, too. Right now we're acquiring joint compound buckets as we work on the house. Not that I would eat joint compound, but...

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our local Sam's Club will gladly give away all the buckets I can carry. In their bakery they go through about 25 per week. They recycle them, but if someone comes along and wants some they are happy to recycle them that way as well. And they have been rinsed out too which is nice. Other places where you can get buckets are Chinese restaurants (soy sauce comes this way). I have gotten pickle buckets from BBQ restaurants and fast food places.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i got a buncha buckets from wal-mart for $1 each! they were more than happy to sell them to me

whoooot!
:)

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get 5 gallon pickle buckets from a deli restaurant. Ask around before buying.

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use buckets purchased in the paint section at Walmart. I share the opinion that as long as Mylar is used as a liner then the bucket does not need to be USDA food safe. Since sealed Mylar bags do not allow the passage of oxygen then all of the larger plasticizer molecules should also be excluded from migration also because their molecular size is much larger than oxygen.

Remember Mylar does not stand up well to contact with solvents so buckets should be new or in like new thoroughly dry condition.

I also store Mylar sealed food in Sterilite plastic totes which are definitely not USDA food safe containers with no odor or flavor issues.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
FF! you are a hero - i could not remember what those lids were called and i've been wracking my brain!!

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you