Food Independence is Security

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@tortoise this wasn't what I thought this article would be,about, but it was interesting! I do wonder how they would be able to produce,all their own (Or at least a majority of their own) food given all the major storms they have. It seems like crops would be routinely wiped out. And yet, waiting on imports isn't always a good option either. Any time someone is that dependent on another, bad things happen.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My husband has suggested moving to Hawaii. Dependence and vulnerability were the first things I thought of. No way! Never!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of being on an island unless its all yours, and someplace like just off the shore on Lake Michigan. But these places with multiple hurricanes every year? Not for me. It doesn't matter if you can grow year round when just one storm knocks everything out!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hurricanes or tornadoes? Hummm... I'll take hurricanes any day of the week. Why? Because you get days notice. But tornadoes just pop up with little or no advance notice. I've been in both hurricanes while in North Carolina are spread out over a large area. Tornadoes while in Illinois are powerful and a lot more confined (not as spread out). Both can be very dangerous though.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Puerto Rico could learn from Cuba. When Russia had an economic crisis and couldn’t support Cuba any longer, people went hungry. The government made food production a top priority and they can now feed themselves. Organic, wholesome healthy food. Heck, we could learn from Cuba.

Growing food, meat, eggs and vegetables is so deeply ingrained in my soul, I never want to be without a bit of dirt to scratch in.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would never want to live in area that is as vulnerable to natural disasters or that I couldn't readily produce food for the home. I love my garden and am glad to be back in it.

Our ability to provide for ourselves I think will grow more and more essential as years past.