Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Definitely not your imagination. Here's another article from the UK.

Global food crisis forecast as prices reach record highs

While I don't see a "crisis" severely affecting the industrialized nations, it will certainly means inflation in the cost of our food. And for those of us that are just barely making it through the month now, the rising prices can certainly become a crisis on the personal and family level.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya'll are always so full of good news...!

And speaking of inflation...did anyone else hear that the feds are "fudging" the CPI, that the rate of inflation is more like 10% than 1%...? (that way, no one on Social Security has to get a COL increase!) :/

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's even worse for those of us with "special" diets. It's already more expensive for those of us who are, for example, gluten free to stay that way. That can only become more expensive, not less, as the price of everything else rises.
*sigh* why isn't my farm/ranch fully operational now instead of five years from now? :hu :hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a low carber. You don't need to tell me that a specialty diet makes it even worse. We are feeling the pinch from that uptake in beef prices. Fortunately we bought half a pig so we are a little insulated with that.

My ducks are looking more and more cost efficient every day :D

Wifezilla

Reaction score
iam...when you leave half the numbers out of your calculation you can make it say anything you want. They leave FOOD and ENERGY out of the equation. How long can any of us go without FOOD or ENERGY???

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah, we started with the chickens, and are graduating to pigs turkeys ducks sheep goats and yaks :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a low carber type diet also. But having the farm means I am pretty well set with the meats etc I need.....we need to process one of our beef cattle soon...supply getting low lol

yes food costs are crazy compared to what they were....I just shop smarter and do all I can to keep the cost down on a weekly basis. I AM PUTTING more time into coupons and hunting down buy one get one free..lol

Key also is eat what is in season. Usually the cheapest in the produce section (that is if you aren't growing ur own by now)
and freeze the summer harvest. I have enough frozen veggies to last a very very very long time lol---well at least easily until the next garden and field crops.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I am going to the last farmer's market of the season on Saturday and stocking up on squash.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
which one is that?
that reminds me, i should go to the one in erie, i think its still going on saturday

Latest posts