Food Storage Challenge

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can we do a food storage challenge here? Just sign up if you want to and each time you go buy groceries, buy something for longish-term storage. When you get back, let us know what you got and how much you paid for it.

I don't see any need for upper or lower amount limits. Just get what you need for as little as you can manage to pay. If you buy a thirty cent box of noodles one week, post it! If you buy a $30 bag of wheat flour, post it!

I need some motivation to start squirrelling things away.

Any takers?

Cassandra

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Yellow Split Peas $4.45 for 5#
Dried Sweet Cream Buttermilk $7.90 for 2#
Bulgar Wheat $7.25 for 5#
Brown & Wild Rice $9.10 for 5#
Bread Flour $25.00 for 25#
Flax Seed $4.95 for 5#
Maxwell House Coffee $6.30 for 2# 2.5 oz
Flock Raiser Crumbles $12.95 for 50#

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, nice. Mine, alas, will have to wait a couple of days. We do our grocery shopping on the weekends.

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How bout if you buy extra food because you forget if you have any or not? Does this count? The boys did a count the other day and I have around 5 bags of brown sugar, 10 bottles of Nature's Seasonings, ditto for pepper, minced onions, chili powder, hot pepper flakes, 4 bottles of canola oil....I'm running out of cabinet space and didn't even mean to! Darn short-term memory loss!!! :rant

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I bought a ton (ok not REALLY) of corn when it was super cheap (20c each)
I steamed them - cut some off the cob, some I left on the cob - and they're in the freezer.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
How bout if you buy extra food because you forget if you have any or not? Does this count? The boys did a count the other day and I have around 5 bags of brown sugar, 10 bottles of Nature's Seasonings, ditto for pepper, minced onions, chili powder, hot pepper flakes, 4 bottles of canola oil....I'm running out of cabinet space and didn't even mean to! Darn short-term memory loss!!! :rant
That TOTALLY counts!!

:lol:

Cassandra

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I bought a ton (ok not REALLY) of corn when it was super cheap (20c each)
I steamed them - cut some off the cob, some I left on the cob - and they're in the freezer.
mmmm corn. Nice find!

Cassandra

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This week I picked up extra:

4 4lb bags sugar $1.49 ea
5 cans tomato paste .19 ea
8 boxes Dreamfields pasta .99 ea (close out)
1 50 lb bag layer pellets (for chickens) $12.34
3 toothbrushes free (coupons)
4 toothpaste aprox .50 ea (coupons)
4 tomato soup free (error on grocery bill. Store policy is to give a $2 coupon off next order for grocery errors)
1 can coffee $1 (coupon)

I try to get extra items each week by using the coupons from the Sunday paper to make them free or almost free. I also shop at discount stores and in clearance bins (just check date codes).

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
five pound bag of rice $3.42
two pound bag red beans 2.28

Hubby did the shopping tonight & I didn't want to send him on a wild goose chase looking for anything exotic. LOL We'll get a bunch of meals out of this, though. Southern delicacy. ;)

Good job everybody!

Cassandra

Latest posts