Food Storage Spaces

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I've been storing food in our extra bedroom . . . what should be the guest bedroom. It is less than ideal, but we are short on space.

If you were building a small storage building just for dry food storage, what would you want to incorporate? I'm thinking mostly right now in terms of dry, dark and temperature moderated, but what else do you think would be helpful?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Rodent proof. I know it will be packed well but the thought of rodent poop on the containers would put me off.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. And yes, rodent-proofing is also a high priority.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Good call. The spot we are considering would be relatively hidden from passers by, but it would be hard to make it really well hidden. :/

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Right now I have the same problem. Dh wants to tear down his shop & build a new one, I was thinking to put one under it with a hidden door if we can do it in the next few yrs. Otherwise maybe put one under my garden shed as we have to replace the wooden floor in it(due to termites). Plus it is right there at the garden area so not too far to haul the produce to store straight from the garden. Then maybe we can get by without any permits too as it is at the back of the property & no one would see us doing any work back there.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't forget adequate lighting...

and insect proof too!

Latest posts