For Ladies: Quick Project to Recycle T-Shirts

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I sewed this last night in less that an hour, and it turned out pretty cute. I took one of my husband's t-shirts that he wasn't wearing anymore, and modified it into an off-the-shoulder top:

July008.jpg

All you need is:

T-shirt
Elastic (3/4" width or less)

1. Cut off the top of the t-shirt at the tops of the sleeves and across the chest.

2. Cut off an inch or two from each sleeve.

3. Put narrow hems in to finish the edges of the sections you cut off.

4. If you'd like, you can bring the sides of the shirt in somewhat so that it has a more fitted look, and cut some off the bottom if you'd like the shirt to be shorter.

5. Measure yourself around your shoulders. Take that measurement, and subtract 2" from it. This will be the length of the elastic for the top.

6. Measure your upper arm, and subtract 1". Cut two pieces of elastic to this size for the arm holes.

7. Use pins to mark the off-the-shoulder top into quarters. Mark the sleeves the same way, and mark all 3 pieces of elastic by quarters. This is so you stretch the elastic far enough while sewing; you will match the pins up as you go along.

8. I used the elastic stitch on my sewing maching, but zig-zag would work fine too. Start stitching the long piece of elastic onto the inside of the off-the-shoulder top, pulling the elastic as you go to line up the pins you used as markers. Do the same with the 2 smaller pieces of elastic and the armholes.

And voila!
July012.jpg

I hope that was clear, writing instructions for sewing projects is trickier than I thought. :)

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cute!

once i find my sewing machine under all the clutter i am going to give this a try :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Very nice!!! I'm in the process of turning several oversized tshirts into dresses, but this is a fun idea too!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Very nice!!! I'm in the process of turning several oversized tshirts into dresses, but this is a fun idea too!
Do you have patterns for making dresses out of t-shirts, or are you just winging it? I'm going to look around online to see what I can find, becuase that sounds like a cute idea.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
calendula said:
abifae said:
Do you have patterns for making dresses out of t-shirts, or are you just winging it? I'm going to look around online to see what I can find, becuase that sounds like a cute idea.
There are patterns online for T shirt wedding dresses.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Marianne said:
(at my age, I'd scare raccoons if I wore something like that...) :/
That might be a good thing. :D :hide

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
What I've been doing is winging it. I cut off the sleeves. Then cut straight across at the collar.

The new straight line "top" is under the bust. I cut open the sleeves and sew them together and they are the bust. Then I just shape it. Add straps. Done.

There are some great walk throughs though.

http://www.generation-t.com/

http://www.threadbanger.com/tb-projects/episode/THR_20090619/how-to-make-a-halter-top-with-megan-nicolay-threadbanger

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Convert-A-T-shirt-in-A-Sexy-Dress/